ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Not Posting

monkeychef23

Hey everyone,

So I've received all the parts for a new build, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the board to post. I have breadboarded the system and installed the CPU (4670k) and two sticks of G.Skill Sniper RAM running at 1600 Mhz stock. The RAM says on the box that it is compatible with the Z87 chipset, so I know compatibility is not the issue.

Initially when I start the computer, the fan spins up for a few seconds, stops, then starts back up. I had to borrow a speaker from a friend (doesn't come with one), and the speaker outputs 3 quick beeps, a short pause, then 3 more short beeps. The beep code relates to memory, but I can't find any issues with the sticks. I have tried each stick individually and together in every slot with no luck. I checked the CPU and chipset for any deformities because that is the new location of the memory controller, and I see no issues.

I'm basically ready to RMA the board, but before I do I wanted to know if any of you guys have any other ideas. Thanks for your help in advance.

If you don't have any spare ram sticks laying around to test, try each stick individually in each slot by themselves to see if that resolves the issue. If not and the alert is memory related on the board, you may have gotten a bad memory slot board. I had a similar thing happen once before on an asus so it does happen from time to time.

Back