Assembling Externals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I'm the only one around here with an Ebay account. My friends want some externals. Problem #1 "ships only to confirmed address" The seller doesn't understand that Marines are often away from their homes. I simply have them sent to my intelligent, yet computer illiterate wife, which leads, potentially, to problem 2. Problem #2 the wife puts four of them together. One is a laptop drive and 3 are 3.5's. The 2.5 is perfect, but none of the other three will even appear on her comp. I have had her change jumpers (set to slave rather than master), try different USB ports/cords, swap the hard drives between the cases to see if one common thing is causing this. From 2k miles away it seems she is doing everything right. Am I missing something? The drives spin as if they are reading, but can't be found. The OS is XP.

Well, the most ovious thing - "can't be found" means what? The drives have probably been blanked and would not appear in "My Computer".

Also, maybe you just got scammed and they sent you bad drives?

Drives are from different sources. They appear under device manager as disk drives. They can be populated momentarily, but come up as "not initialized" Tyoe says "unknown". I would format if I could get to them to do it. Help!!

You problably need to partition and format them from a boot disk based formating/setup program so windows will see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back