Asset Tag Changed & HD/Bios Password Needed on a D610

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Latitude D610
Service Tag B5ZQ691
Express Service Code 24306944293
cn-ou8082-48643-5BT-2394 Rev A05

I purchased this laptop from ebay. When it arrived and I went to turn it on for the first time, the screen came on saying that there was a password on the primary HDD (Hard Disk #WJ20A124175-595B). Then, after pressing F1 or F2, I managed to open up the bios screen. Only to find out this too needed an Administrative Password in order to change any of the settings!

After exhausting my computer know-how trying to figure it out, I was persuaded by a friend to let them try and get it. When I picked it up a few days later, it was in the exact same state, but somehow the Asset Tag had been changed to "SATAN 666". Now my "so-called" friend said they had no luck on getting past any of the passwords. But if that was true, then how did the Asset Tag get changed?!? (I guess they just assumed that because I am a 28 year old blond female, that stands 5' 9" tall, and weighs 120 lbs, that I would be stupid enough to believe them!)

My first question is it possible to change the Asset Tag while the computer is locked with an Administrative Password. And my second question is can anyone out there figure out a Master Password for my HD & Bios using my service code tag?

Thank you for your time.

Sadly, there's no 'easy' fix for this.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to remove the password (aside from paying someone for the service) is to replace the security chip inside the laptop. This requires someone who is reasonably skilled with soldering and someone who has the appropriate replacement chip. Ironically, you can usually find the chips on eBay for 10-30 bucks.

There used to be USB-based password dongles to reset BIOS passwords as well. Infact, I used to make parallel and serial password reset dongles for a few brands of laptops, but they've since phased this idea out and I never had any experience with USB dongles. Ironically (once again), the best place to find them used to be eBay. I don't really see them anymore though.

but somehow the Asset Tag had been changed to "SATAN 666"
If I followed you correctly, you have no access to Windows or the BIOS. However, you can still view the asset tag in the BIOS (or during POST), right? You just aren't allowed to change any settings without the password.

The asset tag didn't magically change itself. Something else is going on... It was probably that all along. I'd be concerned about whatever low-level changes may have been performed with this laptop prior to your receipt.

Older laptops could be reset (they didn't have a security chip) or had a keyboard combination or a master factory password to fool the unwise; however, people have since become much more familiar with computers and I'm afraid its getting more difficult to get past these things...

Thank you for your response.

I have been reading some of the threads, and one of your members by the name of "Rustam " seems to be able to figure out the Master Password via the Service Tag Number. Do you think his methods would be of any help in my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back