Assorted troubles with my Asus P5B MB

elazarus

Hello,

Lately I have problems with the USB ports, card readers and even the microphone stops working on Skype when I am using the phone to clients.

All drivers are up-to-date and connections are good. Running XP Pro with SP3...and slowly but steadily over the past 3-4 months just lots of hiccups. Re-booting on it own. Tonight I plugged in a SD card to the reader and immediately the machine it crashed and rebooted.

Machine is 3 1/2 years old and is used all day everyday...no gaming but always with Outlook, Firefox, Quickbooks and sometimes a Graphics program for digital photography.

Have a Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs Ram (Windows only sees 3gb) and a GT7500 Nvidea card.

Does this sound like the MB is starting to go? I have tried to do rule-outs.

Thank you

Elliot

I always start by swapping the power supply first when dealing with these type of troubles. You would have to go to a 64-bit version of Windows in order to see more than 3GB of system memory

Sounds to me like it may be a malware infection messing with device drivers/hardware resources.
I would first download Malwarebytes AntiMalware (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) and do a full scan, clean anything you find, and the let us know how that works for you.

A lot of PCs I've dealt with lately have some sort of infection messing with USB and other interconnects.

Thank you for responding.

I ran Malwarebytes (run it every week) and there was ZERO in the log. Switched out the power supple with my 2nd machine (exact same build).

Right now it does not see one of my 3 External Hard drives.......or the 5 in 1 card reader.

Used CCLeaner...subscribed to Driver Genious Pro to make sure all drivers were up to date.

Any thoughts?

Elliot

Maybe a bios update if available or a new motherboard. After all, it is a 5 year-old Asus... Lastly, a Windows clean install after you save all the ASUS drivers on a CD/DVD. Remember to install the chipset driver first. If you still have hardware issues, the fresh Windows install might not complete

Hi,

Thank you. I did a full re-install about 6 weeks ago (what a pain). I have gone to the Asus website and updated everything that they had for my MB.

I am assuming that one of the files under "chipset" etc was the bios.......I have also gone to the Intel website and did their update.

I honestly feel that there are a few "weak" spots on the motherboard......although I must admit that I have always had USB problems on both machines.

Elliot

You've done just about everything I and others could think of at this point... Is a new motherboard in your future? I love my Biostar and the Intel i5 CPU

Thank you very much.

I guess the question of the week is......Do I really need an i7?

As I mentioned above I do mostly online (email, browser), quickbooks (a chip hog) and either ACDSee Pro or Photoshop Elements......

I always wonder how much is too much power where I would not see the difference in a i3, i5, i7 and how much RAM......

I appreciate all your help.

Regards

Elliot

Back