Asus A7N8X-deluxe WILL NOT boot....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok....have the AMD 3000+, fan, and everything else installed. Using my old 300w power supply. I get power, but it won't boot...no video signal, no nothing. Not even audible errors....even tried booting without the the hard drive hooked up. Still nothing. It just sits there. the power light kicks on, but beyond that, nothing. Anyon epxerience this before? Oh...all the fans kick on, including the cpu fan. Did even less without the cpu fan connected.

Athlon XP 3000+
Xtasy GForce 440 MX 64mb (off the old one)
512mb Corsair ram (new)
Diamondmax 40gb

Please help!

Whip

The 300W PS is borderline.....have you checked your mem.....removing and replacing one at a time. Remove and reseat your cards. Take it down to just your vid card initially.

It's a start....keep us posted.

check yer multiplier and fsb settings.
I just built a machine with the a7n8x E-deluxe board with 2800+
i had to underclock the cpu till i updated the bios, then it runs at 2800+ with no probs.

If the multiplier or fsb is wrong or above what the bios will handle the system will just sit there with the fans running

Surly if you are getting no post and no video output changing the bios settings would be rather difficult....
Try reseting the bios - unplug the power and take the battery out then add the power back and put the battery back and turn it on.
Currently i have an identicle problem - i think my motherboard has died - i have to hope the warrenty covers it...otherwise i am in trouble

Steg

What your finding is the orginal BIOS does not support the Barton core, where as a revised BIOS ahs been modified to support it.

So use the clear cmos jumpers to reset the bios and try a lower fsb till you update the bios

The Rev 2.0 should not have any problems running a Barton out of the Box. It's ready for the 200mhz FSB ( 400 ) & only Bartons use it ( officially ).

Check all the jumpers on the board, especially the ClearCMOS one & make sure you have a fan connected to the CPU_FAN connector on the board. It might refuse to power on because it doesn't detect a sufficient amount of RPMs on that connector.

It's true the PSU is a bit on the light side, but with CPU, Ram & VGA card only, it should at least post.

I foudn the problem. there was a mounting post under the board that I couldn't see from the old board. It must have been ground it out. It boots up fine now.

Buuuuut.....it wants to shut down every now and then. replaced the 300w power supply with a 350w. it wants to shut down when 1) the graphics card is supposed to switch resolutions, or 2) when it's accessing the creative dvd-rom I have installed.
i have two dvd drives, and it doesn't matter which one i access. everything seems to run fine with windows (98se), but when some different graphics are involved, it shuts down. Anysuggestions on bios upgrades?

any pointers? or does anyone know what voltage the Visiontek Xtasy geforce 4 mx 440 runs on? I read that the board only supports 1.5 volt video cards, and I dunno what this one is. :(

I've left most fo the BIOS settings on AUTO, but then tried a few different settings too. I don't want to mess with too much, without knowing what they are/mean. I usually build once computer, and then just use it, until I feel it's ready for an upgrade.

any other ideas? I have to swap my motherboards to get a connection to the net. the new PCI Modem Blaster I bought won't connect to the net or my e-mail, but WILL connect.....more hassles.....just trying to disable the V92, and set it back to v90, so I can use it......my isp doesn't support v92 yet.

What do you mean by "it wants to shut down" ? Do you get a an error message or does the system just power off ?

The system just powers off. No errors, no warning..just shuts down. I have no idea what's causing it. I was trying to load my new modem drivers, the Creative splash screen comes up, does it's little animation, then the whole thing just shuts down. It did that with the asus driver cd too. ???? grrrrr....

Go into the BIOS then to the Hardware Monitor. Does everything seem normal ? CPU & system temp, voltages, fan speeds ?

After checking there, do a memtest & let it run for a few hours.

GRRRRAAAARRR!!!!!!

this is how far I got......

Athlon XP 3000+, 400FSB
corsair XMS 3200 (440)

I did a memtest, let it run for about an hour (since the computer crashes long before that).

Did a fresh install of Win98se. installed modem drivers, and soem other stuff, using an old B&W monitor I have laying around (the good one is hooked up to my athlon 850), and finally installed my Xtasy Geforce 4 MX 440 drivers, hooked up another monitor (old crappy one with a bad tube, ut still got a picture), try and install Dungeon Siege as a test, and it shuts down.
I flashed the bios to 1.008, for memory conflicts. Updated all my drivers from the CD (should I try from the net?). Bought a new power supply (350w from 300w).

has anyone else had problems with video cards in this board? I'm thinking that's my problem. it works fine on my K7M.

I'm really beginning to wonder about this motherboard, with everything that I read about it.

anyone else bought anything from Newegg? Are they pretty good about exchanges?

I checked, and it's the 400FSB. axda3000dkv4e. checks out. no errors on the memtest. I'm going to let it run all day while I'm at work. I've tried everything I can think of...turned off agp fast write, tried changing the processor voltage, turned off/on pallette snoop (what the hell is that for anyway?). Unless there's something I can change in my memory settings. Anyone have the same setup???

I'm downloading the latest VGA drivers for the board as we speak. Going to try that. If that fails, and no errors on my memory, I'm sending everything back. I've never had to mess so much with computer parts in my life. this is really pissing me off. I have a k7m, and never had this many problems. I may just get the max processor for this board, and be done with it all.

the VGA drivers that were supposed to be for the board wouldn't install...."device not found".....sent back the motherboard this morning. I think something burned up in one of the chips on the board when it grounded to the case. Hopefully, the CPU isn't damaged......(loooong sigh).

Are you replacing for another set up? Do you have any issues with the new one?

I have used NewEgg many times, and would refer them to anyone! Really good selection and really good return policy. Just verify the information. I have found a couple of mistakes in their posting that were different from the manufacturer.

Believe me, with almost every "new" top of the line motherboard, I have run into something that went haywire and I wanted to pull my hair out. We've all been there. Don't get frustrated, just try everything!

My questions would have referred to the cooling of the system, remove everything except memory, processor, mainboard, power supp., single stick of memory, HDD and CDROM. Use as few pieces as are necessary. Then, once we are up and running, add a piece at a time and see where we have issues.

Advice for anyone building a new system and having issues.

Bug

thanks Bug. I took all those steps. I sent the MB back for replacement. I think the extra mounting post under the board grounded it out, and smoked something. It runs fine, until I get my Geforce 4 drivers installed, then it just shuts down. I checked everything, and tried everything Icould think of, pretty much what you suggested in your post. I'm just getting a replacement for the a7n8x. I think it will be fine after that, unless it's an issue with my video card (i.e. wrong voltage...not sure if the board configuration would be different). I can't find anything the tell me what voltage the video card is.

I'm sure the post in the back did the trick. I had the same issue and the board is still pretty untrustworthy. Found this information for ya at the Xtasy FAQ from their online forum.

Q: My motherboard manual says I need a video card that will run on a 1.5v AGP Pro slot. Are your cards compatible with this?
A: All Visiontek Geforce 2 & later AGP graphics cards will run on a 1.5v AGP Pro slot.

I have run my MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 at the 1.6v level, but it is completely unnecessary, unless you are experiencing issues in a game, or overclocking.

Let me know how the new board works!
Bug

Nice choice. I have been looking into vid cards too. Some tough choices out there. Found a Chaintech that might save you some dough. On pricewatch.com, model A-FX60, is currently $97. Same mem and CPU speeds. No heatsinks on the memory. But the fx5600 is a nice card. I will probably get the fx5700 ultra for about $170. I play too much Desert Combat... :(

Bug

The only thing that I play right now is Neverwinter Nights, dungeon Siege, and Everquest. Wish they would come out with another Wing Commander...loved the last two. I would get another step up too, but I have a 1976 Trans Am that I have to start saving money to get parts for to rebuild the motor.

IT WORKS!

Well, after waiting a week for the replacement mobo, and getting a new video card (which i had to exchange because it had a bunch of blocks and lines in the display), this thing finall works.

Just wondering why the thing seems like it's a little slower than my K7M system with an 850 t-bird just running stuff in win98. My memory settings are on AUTO, and that seemed to help a little. Was doing it by SPD before. Turned off the stuff that I figured was useless (i.e. USB mouse and keyboard). Maybe I was jsut expecting a little too much. I like it though. Think it would speed things up if I just use a sound card, or keep using he onboard sound?

Another thing....I'm in the process of hooking up my old rig to this one via thernet cards, but I hear I need NetBUI installed. Is this on the install CD, and installed with the tcp/ip software?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. :D

Don't need NetBui at all. Are you just going to run games across, or Internet? Usually you can use TCP/IP for all of these. Some games also work will IPX/SPX, but if it uses TCP/IP use it. Let me know what you are planning on setting up and I'll find you some instructions for setting it up. I need OS, current network setup, etc. Are you planning on running Internet to both, or just one? Are you setting up computer to computer, or do you have a hub, switch, or router...?

Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back