XtR-X

Okay, so here's the setup:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Athlon XP 2800+ w/ Vantec AeroFlow
2x 512MB DDR RAM (kingston)
160GB Samsung SATA HD
Ever 400W PSU
GeForce 4 Ti4200 (asus)

I can't get the computer to turn on. I followed all instrucitons on connecting all those wires (those wires being the ones for the switches and LEDs) to the proper plugs on the motherboard. I double checked with the motherboard manual and the writing right below it. I reversed everything several times to make sure the positives and negatives and grounds were all properly set up.

When the PSU goes on, the motherboard's green light goes on, indicating that the mobo has power. However, when pushing the switch to turn it on, it doesn't turn on!!!

All jumpers are properly set, the jumper to reset the CMOS is not in that position (i.e. its in normal operating position), and all other jumpers were set to default.

I did more in depth search, removed the switches, leds, etc, from the front, and analyzed it. Then, I cut the wires and made a manual connection (thinking something was wrong with the switch) and still no go!

I even measured the two pins that stick out where the power switch was supposed to go and it read 12.0v!

Why won't my computer turn on!?

Many, many, no... several thanks to anyone who can help asap.

As Agissi said, most likely a dead motherboard.

One rule I like to follow when connecting the motherboard connections (power switch, reset switch, etc) is to look at the side of the connector. On one side is the writing which tells you what the wire is for. On the other side you will notice a little arrow pointing down. That arrow is on one side of the connector. I always place that arrow on the side that is closest to your PCI slots. In some cases though the headers aren't parallel to the PCI slots and will be oriented in the opposite direction (though usually I find that they are always parallel). In that case I'm not 100% sure which side the down arrow needs to be on.

I've seen several people fry their boards by having those in the wrong spot.

Also, when doing this I think it is best to first install the power switch connector. Then if that works you can turn the rest of the connections in the same direction. Just make sure they are in the right spot.

Wow i never knew 1) you could fry the mobo from hooking it wrong.. the ill. in the mobo always sux! so hard to tell and 2) about the arrow thing.. only prob is, of all the PCs i've made, I've never seen much arrows :dead:

No, actually, I solved the problem, and it wasn't the mobo.

It was the cheap-*** power supply. I got the comp running perfectly after swaping the 400W PSU with another 350W PSU in my room and got it working.

Turns up, the 400W PSU was so cheap, that it didn't provide enough power to power the system up, I had to disconnected everything from the PSU cept the mobo to get it working.

And, to add a friendly advice and notice:

EVER Power Supply Units are the cheapest and crapiest PSUs EVER, F**KING EVER! If I would rate them at a new wattage I'd put down 10W PSU, becuase it sux!

Thanks all for responses anyways.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
As Agissi said, most likely a dead motherboard.

One rule I like to follow when connecting the motherboard connections (power switch, reset switch, etc) is to look at the side of the connector. On one side is the writing which tells you what the wire is for. On the other side you will notice a little arrow pointing down. That arrow is on one side of the connector. I always place that arrow on the side that is closest to your PCI slots. In some cases though the headers aren't parallel to the PCI slots and will be oriented in the opposite direction (though usually I find that they are always parallel). In that case I'm not 100% sure which side the down arrow needs to be on.

I've seen several people fry their boards by having those in the wrong spot.

Also, when doing this I think it is best to first install the power switch connector. Then if that works you can turn the rest of the connections in the same direction. Just make sure they are in the right spot.

That's excellent info (and info I wasn't aware of). I often fiddle around trying to find the proper direction for those. Never burned a board out though. Must've been lucky. :D

Also I believe that in most cases the white wire is ground and the other wire will be the 5v wire for example. That also helps in figuring out how to orient the wires. I know a lot of the manuals don't do a very good job of telling you where they do go and kinda leave you hanging.

I've had to actually snip a few of the connectors in half to be able to connect them correctly on one motherboard where they fit correctly as they were on another. (Usually on the 3-pin's I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back