ASUS A7N8X-e overheat problem

By vorlonbob
Jan 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Over the past few weeks, my pc has been shutting down. Mostly when using graphic intensive software, such as games, but even when doing something as ordinary as burning a cd. I tried replacing graphics card, ram, power supply, cpu fan, but it still keeps happening. I ran SiSoft Sandra 2005. It said my mobo was running too hot. My fans look like they are running fine. I don't understand why i've changed nothing but it's just started. Should i put more fans in, if so which are best? Is my mobo on its way out? Or should i look for a more powerful cpu fan?

ASUS A7N8X-E
    AMD XP3200+ cpu
    1024 pc3200 Kingston DDR
    500w psu
    Geforce 3 64mb AGP
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Download Motherboard Monitor and see what temps it gives. But your processor fan may be failing or there could be dust in the heatsink or power supply.
  3. techdiagmandude

techdiagmandude Newcomer, in training

Heatsink

What heatsink are you using? Are you over clocking the ram or video card or processor? Is there a high ambient temp(room temp) where the machine is at?

My specs are:
    Amd 2700+ (2.16ghz) (Idle temp:48C) (MAX Full load temp: 54C)
    Ocz Platinum Dual channel kit 512mb (2x256)
    Sapphire Ati Radeon 9600xt
    80gb Seagate Barracuda HDD-IDE
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe AI series
    Nvida Mcp-T chipset
  4. vorlonbob

vorlonbob Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

The heatsink i am not sure of, just one the shop assistant gave me that would be ok for the cpu. Its not excessively warm in the room, just regular room temp. I've not knowingly overclocked anything. Is it likely to be a cpu cooling problem more than a mobo on its way out? Should i be looking at getting the best cpu heatsink and fan?

The temperatures that motherboard monitor are giving me are Case 24'C, CPU Diode 0'C, CPU socket 56'C. What is CPU Diode? The only fans i'm running are the power supply's 120mm Q-TEC 500 Watt, and the Heatsink cpu fan. I've just ordered an Antec 80mm Smartcool Thermally Controlled Case Fan.
  5. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

I think the shop assistant gave you a wrong kind of heatsink. You should go out and buy a copper heatsink or aluminum/copper combo heatsink. This was a high perfomance heatsink on the market today.

Motherboard Monitor... you should set in between of Diode 1 and 3.

Tell us or give us the Motherboard Monitor Log file and post it here as a file. Thanks!

Lucan
  6. vorlonbob

vorlonbob Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 33

"Motherboard Monitor... you should set in between of Diode 1 and 3."
    What exactly do you mean by this? Is it a Motherboard Monitor function?

I've attached the log file
  7. techdiagmandude

techdiagmandude Newcomer, in training

Heatsink

A fully copper Heatsink is needed, the guy in the shop gave u crud k bye hehehe newb resp there just try a copper heatsink
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.