Asus A7N8X onboard sound problem. Help ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have an extra PC that I am trying to get the sound to work on. It has a A7N8X Mb (just a regular A7N8X). WinXP Pro installed (now). Amplified Speakers (tried non-amplified too.)

For some odd reason I have never been able to get the sound to work at all on it. It doesn't seem to be the same problem that everyone else has with this model (sound getting staticy during games, etc...) What happens to this is the sound NEVER works correctly. The sound is always staticy and it is so low in volume you cant hear it anyway unless you are very close to the speakers even with it at full volume.

When I say "staticy" I mean really low volume tinfoil crackling static, and every now and then it will hit a staticy note and hang there for several seconds.

I have tried the Win98SE drivers that came with the Mb (when I had Win98SE installed), and that didnt do anything. So I upgraded to WinXP Pro and tried the nVidia XP drivers.. still the same thing. :suspiciou

I am using the middle speaker jack on the rear of the Mb. I do NOT have the front panel speaker jacks wired up. The FPAUDIO1 pins have jumpers on them like: ::|.| (Do I need those jumpers gone to enable rear jacks??)
If I took the two jumpers off... would that disable rear jacks? :confused:

After a day fighting with it I decided to put in a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (Audigy 1, NOT 2) soundcard... during installing that it notified me that I 'might' need to disable onboard sound, so I was expecting to do that. I had the new XP drivers for the Audigy ready. When I had everything installed I tried the soundcard out and it did the same thing... but with much lower staticy sound. I then thought I should go in and uninstall any non-Soundblaster drivers.. which I did... then went into the BIOS and disabled the AC97 onboard sound (AC97?! I thought this was an nVidia Mb) and any other onboard items that was close to the sound choices.
The sound is STILL staticy and very very low volume.

Is there a jumper that actually nulls onboard sound in one swipe?
Is there something that I am totally doing wrong?
Other than uninstalling the audio drivers and disabling onboard sound in the BIOS is there anything else I need to do to "disable" onboard sound?
How do I disable onboard sound to get my SB Audigy working?

Would a complete reformat help anything, heh. puke:

I need help fast.... the wife wants to play her Roller Coaster Tycoon game with sound.

i think the standard a7n8x has ac97 audio, so that shouldnt be anything to worry about.

you may want to try reading this thread. it says under the post on drivers and sound that static can be heard if high rpm fans are running nearby.

as for getting your SB audigy working, i have a A7N8X-E and my audigy works fine, i just disabled the onboard sound in the bios. :grinthumb

Hmm... I unplugged all the fans I had (including the CPU fan) and it still did the staticy sound...

I am getting frustrated with it.... badly...

Same reply as in the "big thread".
Try other speakers, I think the amp in them is b0rked.

Ever checked the Volume Control settings in Control Panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back