Asus A7V333 slow startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

I have wiped, reinstalled and fitted new dvd hd memory yet It is the slowest ever board to boot.
It does Ide checks for ages and I cant seem to speed it up any.
I have updated the bios

A7v333 1024dimm 200maxtor 7200 slave 40maxtor 7200 (os on this master) Sony dvd burner TDK cd xp home all updated

Athlon 2000 and a really impossible to set up asus gf fx 5200 g.card eith tv tuner likely to be the subject of another post

any Ideas .:confused:

I have the same mobo (rev. 1.02, no RAID) with BIOS 10.16 and it runs like an express train with Athlon xp1900+ and 2x 256MB Corsair XMS2700 CAS2 memory.

Did you install the mobo-drivers from the CD that came with it,
the VIA All-in-one/Hyperion drivers (I use 4.49) and the VIA USB2.0 drivers?

My BIOS is set to "Auto" where a drive is present, and to "None" where not, as well as the "Quick Power on Selftest" enabled.
You can speed up by setting the SMART-monitor to disabled.

Are the HD's set to use LBA and is DMA enabled?

If you want, we can go through the BIOS-settings if that helps.
What BIOS-version do you use? Do you get just the one beep when it starts up? Is the Speech-reporter en- or dis-abled?

Which version do you have ? The one with the onboard IDE/RAID Promise controller or the one without it ?

Do you have drives on the IDE/RAID controller ?

If not, look to see if the newer BIOS files do not allow you to disable the IDE scan at bootup ( the last BIOS files released for the a7v266-e allowed you to do so ).

Or you can look here -> A7V Troubleshooting & look for a modded BIOS allowing you to do so. Be warned that using one of their BIOSes voids your warranty.

Thanks for the quick replies. My worry is that usually when I flash a bios you know It has been done , with this board I have done twice but never been convinced that it has worked. yet the dates are correct bios 1017 2003/05/07

Most of my machines are asus and are so tweakable, I just think this one my dad has has a bit of a niggle.

The onboard IDE/RAID BIOS needs to be loaded before starting the boot process if your booting partition is on an HDD connected to that controller ( the two IDE connectors the closest to the top of the board ). If the booting HDD is on the southbridge there's no need for the BIOS to be loaded before booting.

If you can find a BIOS giving you the option to disable the IDE scan at bootup ( in the BIOS, it's done by setting "Load ATA Bios" to disabled ), you won't have to wait as long in order to boot.

Many thanks,
Ill be there on sunday and will give it my best. Should i make a new post Ref. the Graphic card troubles,?asus gf fx 5200 tv tuner etc.?
Just crashes and crashes then gives little tasters of what could be then crashes some more.............:mad:

I would also check the jumpers on the HDDs. Are they manually set to Master and Slave, or are they set to Cable Select? If set to Cable Select, manually set them... Maxtors are really good with CS, but I still prefer telling my equipment what to do. I agree with the IDE Raid Post. Make sure the drives are on the Standard IDE connectors and not the Raid. Unless it is some other benefit, just disable the Raid connectors until they are being used for Raid. It will free up an IRQ as well.

Bug

Well I was unable to get rid of the Fast track promise 133 lite trying to find an array that does not exist.

I disabled under scsi and raid controllers but this did not help.
also what is version 2.00.1.23 shown in the bios.

To disable the Raid controller, perform the following:
Download and view the user's manual:
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt333/a7v333/e1010_a7v333.pdf

Turn off the system.

View page 8 and verify your HDDs and CDROMs are only plugged into the lower 2 IDE connectors. (Primary IDE and Secondary IDE). Then locate the RAID_EN jumber on page 21 and set to disabled. You can always enable it later when you have more drives, but anything under four, you should just use the standard IDE ports.

Let me know if you need more clarification. Thanks,

Bug

Thanks, I will try that Good that its something simple like a jumper.

The Ide connectors are in the correct slots, the raid is obscured by the hard drive bay so a new case will be needed to use raid.
Thanks
:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back