ASUS A7V8X problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo techspot. I built my computer from scratch about 2 years ago and have upgraded my processor and video card since. Everything seemed to be working fine for a good while now, however I've recently stumbled upon a problem.

I can't turn my computer on. I have an ASUS A7V8X motherboard, and a brand new 300 ATX power supply. Everything is in place, I've even checked the manual for the motherboard. When I connect the plug from the back of the power supply to the outlet, the motherboard lights up, signalling power. But I hit the power switch... and nothing...

Again, all the plugs (PWR SW; RESET SW; SPEAKER; etc) are plugged in correctly. I have checked the system panel connector page of the manual. I just can't turn it on. I use my computer frequently and need some help to get it running again. Any help? If you guys need more info, let me know.

Thanks!

-Kirs (newb)

As a quick test to check if this is simply a power switch issue (incorrectly connected or faulty) use a screwdriver to quickly touch (short) the two pins that are normally connected to the case's power on switch.

Get any action?

Hmm, I'm not sure how to get into the front of the case like that...

Do I have to unscrew something on the inside of the case? Like upfront where the HD, CD and A: Drive rest?

No, sorry I wasn't clearer. You want to short the two pins on the MOTHERBOARD. The two pins that normally would be connected to the case's power on switch.

I don't even know what type of case I have. Looking at the situation, it seems to me that the power switch is just shorted. I had it at a friend's house for some time and his mother decided to just unplug the computer every time I left, rather than turning it off through the OS. So... I don't know. I hate this though. :(

If you tried shorting the two "pwr sw" pins on the motherboard and you still get NOTHING then the problem is not the case.

It may be a dead PSU. Let's do some troubleshooting.

First, reseat all your power supply connections. There are two going to the motherboard (the 20/24pin and the ATX12v). There may also be one going to your graphics card. Unplug and reseat them (unplug your PSU from your house power first).

Also, remove and reseat your ram sticks. They may have come loose. This would also cause the situation you describe above.

It could also be your ram. Try booting with just one stick.

Try these, and then report back.

Well I thought the power supply was shot when this first occured, so I set up a new power supply. Everything is connected fine... but the same problem occured with the new power supply.

And as for the ram, I just disconnected it and reconnnected... I only have a single stick of 512 RAM.

Alright then, you're going to need to swap some parts to troubleshoot. If you don't have (or have access to) extra parts, you'll need to bring it into a shop.

Couple questions, when you try to turn on the system, do you get ANYTHING? Fans spinning? Beeps? LED light color changes? If not, there is high chance that this is either a motherboard problem or a cpu problem. If it were ram or your graphics card you normally would get a beep code (and your fans would at least spin up).

But, it is still worth it to rule out others before deciding it is the motherboard or cpu. I'd swap out the ram and graphics card to see if they are faulty or not.

I'd also recommend stripping to the basics to rule out that your motherboard isn't shorting on the case somewhere.

Remove your motherboard from your case and set it on a box beside your case. Remove everything from the motherboard except:

-cpu/heatsink
-one stick of ram
-two power connections to the motherboard
-graphics card (with power connector if needed)

What graphics card do you have by the way? Is your PSU enough for it? 300w is kinda small.

connect the monitor and try to boot up by shorting the two pwr sw pins again.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back