Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 Motherboard Or Premium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lothia

Well this is the mobo as of right now I am thinking of getting. It is the Asus A8N Sli Deluxe or Premium. I am now asking if it is worth the extra 20-40 to get the Premium over the Deluxe since all that is different is that the Premium has a better cooling system. I have read in many places that this is a good mobo and that it might not be the best but does quite well, also many have said the lay out is one of the best for the nForce4 ones. Any ways I am only going with a single GPU so the Sli I don't think matters (I thought/think it is only for 2 GPU's being used at once not one) And I am thinking of getting a 6600 NF GPU any ways which supports Sli but not two. I want your opinions on if this is a good mobo and if I should get it or another one. If another please make your suggestions. My price range is about this mobo (it being the max I am willing to pay (160ish))
Thank you so much all for your help, you have done so much already for me.

Thank you so much all for your help, you have done so much already for me.
Craig

it depends on what you are going to do with it, are you running the computer 24/7 playing games or what not? if so, i would probably get the better one. i suppose you have the budget.

Well I wouldn't say I play games 24/7 but I do keep my computer on for about 2month periods before turning it off, and I do play games on average 3-9 hours a day. So pretty much get the Premium if I can find it (seems a lot harder to find)

The deluxe has a fan on the heatsink for the chipset, and the premium uses passive cooling so there is no fan on the chipset. Makes it run a little quieter, but I wouldn't necessarily say cooler.

I have the deluxe board and am quite happy with it. It has been very stable for me, and easy to setup.

However, if you want to save some cash, have a look at the A8N-SLI (non deluxe, non-premium). Still a great motherboard, just doesn't have a lot of the extra features which I personally have never used once, such as dual lan ports.

Or, as you don't plan on using SLI, how about this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

Has the nforce4 ultra chipset, and looks like a great budget motherboard. Food for thought.

Hmm well how does that one compair to the SLI? I have decided that I will probably not get a new set up for quite a while and might have to get a second GPU so I will be able to stay up to date on games, so I guess the SLI does have some other good. What are the extra features?

The two differences it shows on ASUS site is
- Dual RAID
- Dual Gigabit LAN & AI NET2

Would I truely ever use them.

You are comparing the A8N-SLI deluxe with the A8N-SLI?

If you are on a budget, go for the plain version. You won't be disappointed. It has everything the deluxe version has and most people would never miss the added benefits of the deluxe. If you need dual raid, or dual lan, then take the deluxe. If not, stay with the plain version.

As for using SLI as an upgrade option? I question that. Not all would agree with me, but I don't think of SLI in that way. If you are getting two very high end cards right away, then SLI is a great choice.

For example, I have one 7800GT right now in my SLI board. I am very happy with my gaming performance, and will be for some time I think. Maybe in a year, I will feel the need to upgrade, but when that time comes, I don't think I will be getting a second 7800GT. I would more than likely upgrade to a more powerful single card that would outperform dual 7800GTs anyways.

Make sense? I'd say there is no need for an SLI motherboard unless you are planning on getting two high end GPUs right from the beginning, and you are an extremist who likes to have the fastest and the best.

AHH thank you very much. It seems that the ATX you showed and the SLI have the same stats except for SLI. Any ways how does a duel GPU compair to a single GPU? I mean you said in a year you could probably get a single GPU that would our preform 2 7800's. Well it makes since I must say; any ways if I get the ASUS A8N-E ATX AMD, I would probably be able to get a better CPU and GPU. I am thinking a 3500 64 CPU, and I am unsure about the GPU, if I get that second Mobo I would have about $200.00 for a GPU. Any suggestions.

I have heard that the 6800GS is only a bit less then the 7600GT
I know the 3500 is about 8% better then the 3200 how much better is the 3700 then the 3500?
I like Nvidias better for GPUs and AMD for CPU's... is that wierd?

EDIT:
ALso at newegg do you get a warrenty or not? I know you can pay like $30 for a 2 year but does it come with the normal 3 year warrenty?

1. The 7600GT is a faster card than the 6800GS, does it using less power and runs cooler. Plus the 6800GS seems to have been discontinued, making it a no brainer ;)

2. The 3700 has a larger L2 cache, and is an amazing overclocker. However, the difference between the 3200 and the 3500 is greater. You'd see an increase in going to the 3700+ but not THAT much. Still, I'd upgrade for $30. Then again, there is always the "for only X dollars more you could...." syndrome. You have to draw the line somewhere, I know ;)

3. Yes, that is wierd. (kidding).

Okay I must ask: What is Evga I see those Nvidia GPU's all the time and I don't like the box but ehh. It always seemed to me it had a different purpose like also for TV input or something. Hmm I am trying to keep it all under $500.00, and it is becoming hard, I guess I have to see what my origonal decissions where going to be vs what this will be. Any ways if for some reason I have to go down on the GPU (which I don't want to do but I heard it is better to have a good CPU then a GPU) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150130

Lets see:$89.99 <mobo> + $235.00 <CPU> + $209.00 <GPU> + $100.00 <DDR 400 Memory> = 633.99 <-- Ouchies lol This is for all that stuff.
(I know 500.00 is not much to go on but since my job just put me on call I am currently not getting much money lol)
Other way: $89.99 <mobo> + $205.00 or $154 <cpu> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535) + 134.00 + 100.00 = 528.99 or 477.99. : - 30.00 as well because of rebate. Which brings them to 498.99 or 447.99. Hmm decissions decissions lol.

And then I also have to get a midtower which I can get for $40.00 lol
ALso at newegg do you get a warrenty or not? I know you can pay like $30 for a 2 year but does it come with the normal 3 year warrenty?

Any suggestions for a so-so prices Tower that will not have to have a power supply replaced? I have read a lot of the reviews on newegg and most seem to have crappy power supplys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back