Asus, AMD, and VIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

I have a friend who wants to build a 939 system. He has an Athlon 64 3200+ as well as the memory, harddrives, etc. The one thing he doesn't have is a solid motherboard.

This build will NOT be for gaming nor will there be any OCing; it is for MS Office work, video editing, pictures, and a great number of other applications such as Quick Books. He may also install the 32 bit version of Vista Home Premium.

I know some would say that he should consider upgrading, but as I said he isn't into gaming or overclocking and to be truthful the components he has now are quite good and should be more than adequte for at least 3 years, especially for what this rig will be used for. He doesn't need Sli.

The issue that I have run into is the scarcity of 939 boards and the ones I do find I really know nothing about them, i.e., Foxconn, ECS, and MSI to name a few though I have heard and read some things about all of them, especially MSI. I am still looking for Ultra boards with quality -- but good luck with that.

I have also run across Asus and so my questions are:

1. I know Asus matches well with Intel but what about AMD? Are there conflicts with AMD?

2. I came across an Asus A8V-SE with the VIA chipset K8T890. I know personally of a few people who run these boards with this chipset in servers utilizing XP Pro and dual core cpus and in their words, "Are rock stable." One utilizes this board for a lot of intense gaiming with high end components and it, too, has been rock solid.

So has anyone used Asus 939 boards with the VIA chipset and what has been your experiences? Again this system will not be used for gaming nor will it be overclocked. I just need something dependable and steady.

I also can get an MSI K8N Neo4-F but I know little about this board and it is non-Ultra. (yes, I have done internet research)

Insights, suggestions, and advice welcomed.

the Asus A8V-SE with the VIA chipset K8T890, and an AMD will work good together, at this time I am using two AMD machines with Asus boards and would not be afraid of a third although I am fixing to build an Intel machine.

Thanks much for the reply, nickc. As I said in my first post it is getting hard to find 939 boards that I would feel comfortable in suggesting.

I especially don't know anything about VIA chipset boards. Now I do know about Asus quality especially on the Intel side but i know virtually nothing on the AMD side.

I noticed in your profile you've used a similar board (the SE I am looking at isn't the Delux model). Any tweaks or quirks I should be aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back