Asus and Intel motherboards power up but don't boot - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help.

My daughters Sony P4 3ghz HT Vaio desktop has always had problems - mainly motherboard related but recently one of her two screens starting intermittently blanking out for a second or so. As it is now out of warranty I decided to try and salvage the good bits and put together a box that could last her for the next year or so.

So I took the following existing bits out of the Sony Vaio

- Pentium 4 cpu 3ghz hyper threading
- 1.5 gb of RAM (2 x Kingmax 512mb DDR-400 and 2xProMOS 256mb DDR-400)
- Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256gb vid card
- Hard drives and DVD drives
- Dell 1905 lcd screens

And added them to the following new components

- Antec Sonata II case (with Antec 450 p/s)
- Intel D965PERL mobo - and when that didn't work (see below)
- ASUS P4P800-E DELUXE Socket 478 mobo
- new 200gb hard drive

Problem is that on both the Intel and the ASUS mobo, the PC powers up but nothing happens - the screen remains blank, no sound is emitted (e.g. no beeps under POST) and nothing happens. There is a momentary lighting of the lights on the keyboard (connected by PS2 or whatever that old non-USB connector is called) and the DVD drive will ight up and open/close but no boot screen etc.

I did a quick search here and tried the following - none made any difference

- swapped out the cpu for another (older) 478 P4 I have in another Vaio
- tried a total of 4 different vid cards (and verified that 2 were working on other PC's)
- tried removing then replacing all the components
- tried various combinations of memory (1,2 and 4)
- removed all other non-essential components and disconnectednon-essential cables (including IDE, floppy, etc.). Leaving only the following in an attempt to reach the initial boot screen: the motherboard, CPU, RAM, power supply, and graphics card.

What am I missing? Is there some kind of compatability issue with Sony VAIO P4 cpu's - am I screwing up in some other way.

I'd really appreciate any guidance or pointers - I'm dead frustrated right now.

Many Thanks - and happy new year.

Remove the processor and check the pins - reseat properly.

Remove and reseat only the 2 x 256 meg sticks.

Reset the BIOS by jumper / removing battery.

Remove the vid card and try booting.

Post results here again.

Just checking but were standoffs used to separate the case from the motherboards? Also, to rule out unseen case shorts, you could try removing the motherboard from the case with just the basics attached and see if it boots. Place on a non-conducting, non-metallic surface.

I really appreciate the advice.

Yes standoffs (the brass ones that came with the Antec case were used) BUT when I combine Ruder and Mailpups advice connecting the mobo out of the case on wood and only running the basics - guess what, success and the thing boots (both MoBos do actually) so I think I must have a short in the way I'm putting the MoBos in the case.

I'm going to put it back in the case and in addition to the standoffs I guess I'm looking to ensure that no part of the MoBo touchs any part of the case - any other guidance would be appreciated.

Incidentally I'm inclined to choose the Intel over the Asus - anyone think I'm wrong here?

Thanks again

......and it looks like the reason it was shorting out was not that the MoBo was touching the case but rather that I had left one extra brass standoff in place that did not correspond to the holes in these mobos and that was causing the problem. Thanks again! :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back