Asus Battery Problems....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had an ASUS A6000 laptop for about a year and then decided to give it to me. He rarely used it.And when i got it the battery wouldnt charge. It says the current power source is AC power...then underneath is says the total battery power remaining is 100%. But then next to the battery diagram is says I have 0% battery power. Is there something wrong with the battery or the laptop? We took it to get fixed but we need to call ASUS and they come down to fix it seeing its still in warranty, but atm they are on holidays and I need to wait till Jamuary 8th..and I wanted to take my laptop away on olidays with me.
Does anyone know of any ways to fix my problem?
Thanks Aim xxx

I doubt there is any way to fix the problem. Your battery chip's report is not evidence you have any residual power remaining.
Send ASUS a certified letter to report the failure, along with a certified tech's report, a copy of your receipt for the laptop, and a photocopy of the laptop label that includes the model number and serial number. This dated letter verifies you have made a claim so that when they reopen, they can act on your claim even if the time has expired.
However,
If they replace it, they will likely not replace it with a new one, but rather with a "refurbished" battery that will last at least until the warranty runs out. You will likely not get a lot of use out of the battery they send you.
Laptop batteries have only a one-year warranty, and many fail soon after the year is up. The battery fails by age, or by counting the number of charges and discharges. It is a safety issue. One that has been discharged a lot will fail more quickly than one that has not. But a battery just sitting there is also failing as it ages. The information you see on the screen is typical of many that have failed.
Your wisest move is to find a reliable seller of low priced batteries. There are a few on eBay, along with a lot of bad ones. We have had good luck with resellers based in Hong Kong, but check their "feedback" ratings. They are often better than dealers in the US who have had the battery sitting on a shelf in the hot back room for a year.

thanks..
Yes, I understand I will need to have it fixed.
But I dont want to have it sent out and then they say all you needed to do was update BIOS or something.
I've heard that this problem is happeneing to alot of people and they have found ways to fix it.
I was just wondering if anyone new ways to help fix mine.
I was also told I could have a problem in the motherboard.
Thanks heaps for your help anyway..
aim xxx

It does happen, and sometimes can be fixed by various fixes, such as a full discharge, shorting out, etc.
However when it is already a year old, the odds are against you.
Do not ignore the fact that it might be the laptop, and not the battery.
Clean the points (connectors on battery and inside computer) with a pencil eraser, then denatured alcohol or 99% rubbing alcohol.
Let dry.
Now try once again to charge it normally.
Now turn on laptop switch, without power adapter and let it sit overnight. Try other ideas you can think up to get it to discharge. It is probably already discharged, but try it anyway.
The chip that reports the load or percent is not really helpful. Do not believe it just because it is there. They usually do not work properly on an old battery.

Laptop switch?
I just have a button I press and thats it.
If there is no power nothing will happen.
Thanks though.
I may just have to wait till january 8th for asus to reopen..
aim xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back