Asus CD-RW 5232 AS does not read cds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Asus CD-RW 5232 AS is currently not reading any cds, be it burnt or original cds. It was working fine till 3 days back, and the next morning it just decided that it doesn't want to read cds anymore. I use Windows 98 SE. Windows does detect the writer. After I insert the cd, the drive starts to read, and the green light keeps blinking. After that nothing, the cd never shows up in windows. If I do test my patience, the green light stops blinking after an elongated period, too. If there are any procedures that I should follow to check whether it is a software failure or hardware failure? Looking forward to the help, my work is starting to backlog majorly now.

Since it's Win98 i would first try un-installing it and re-installing the drivers for it. As for it being hardware, is there another machine there you could test it on ? ? ?

patio. :cool:

Do you have a bootable CD you can put in the drive. If you do restart the computer (check in the bios that it will boot off cd before hard drive) with the cd in. If the comp boots off the CD the drive is fine.

Might also be a good idea to try using a cd lense cleaner!!!

BTW Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back