Asus' latest living room console packs Broadwell, GTX 960M

Scorpus

Staff member

Asus has announced a new variation of their ROG GR8 small form factor gaming PC, this time designed specifically for living room gaming. The ROG GR6, as it's called, comes loaded with mid-range specs: an Broadwell-based Intel Core i5-5200U on the CPU side, alongside an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M on the GPU side.

Neither of these components are ground-breakingly fast, and both are primarily designed for notebooks. The Core i5-5200U has already been seen on a range of Broadwell-based Ultrabooks like the Dell XPS 13, while the GTX 960M is a Maxwell-based variant of the desktop-class GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

asus broadwell gtx nvidia desktop pc living room pc pc console gtx 960m

The ROG GR6 also comes with 8 GB of RAM as standard (upgradeable to 16 GB), and includes two 2.5-inch drive bays that can be filled with a combination of hard drives and solid state drives depending on how much you want to spend.

The entire GR6 is around the same size as a typical game console, but comes with an angular case featuring patterned red highlights. According to Asus, under full load the system is a very quiet 28 dBA, decreasing to just 20 dBA when idling; impressive for such a small system with internals more powerful than current-gen consoles.

Asus says the GR6 will support SteamOS and the Steam Controller when Valve finally gets around to launching them later this year. For now, the GR6 runs Windows with a one-touch launcher for Steam Big Picture Mode. 

Currently there's no exact word on when Asus will launch the GR6, or how much it will cost. 

Permalink to story.

Isn't there different versions of the 960m? Isn't their a 3 and a 6GB one? I know there can be a big different between them.

I got my son the MSI gaming all in one and it using the 960 m 6gb. It plays most games on high. Gets a little warm the system but overall plays everything very well. He plays at 1080p on the MSI 27" gaming all in one. All I can say is that it seems to be just as good as my 670 2GB ftw. I don't know about a 750 ti and how well it does, never used it.

All I am saying is don't sell the 960m short, it's not the desktop version but still can handle most games really good. I am talking about the 960m 6GB as that is the one my son has in his all in one.

Back