ASUS M2A-VM won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I got an ASUS M2A-VM motherboard for Christmas, and I cannot get it to turn the power supply on. The LED on the motherboard is on, but the power supply will not turn on. Here are the parts:

Antec SP500 ATX 12v PSU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
4GB G-Skill SDRAM
ATI Radeon x1800
SoundBlaster Audigy 4 Pro

I know that the power supply works, as I just changed the motherboard and the psu works fine with the old motherboard. I've examined every section of the motherboard and checked every connection multiple times, and I see no reason at all for it to not be working. I've also tried booting only the motherboard and I still had the same problem. Is it possible that the power supply is too weak? Could the motherboard or processor be faulty? Thanks for your help!

Try the power switch on backwards in case for some bizarre reason that works.

Does your power supply have a 24 + 4 pin connectors? How old is it?

Does the motherboard power up with the processor and heatsink removed?

I had same problem when my video card got fried.
Rimoving the card everything back to normal.

The power supply has 24 + 4 pin connectors and is three years old. Also, the motherboard does not power up with the heatsink and processor or video card removed.

Have you tried it out of the case on a cardboard box to rule out shorts?

If not you've got the conundrum of taking the mobo back or getting a new PSU.
The clear CMOS jumper isn't shorted is it?

a 3 year old psu is quite old - also PSUs are known to fail even when they appear normal. It also could not be supplying enough power. the only way to rule out is with a psu tester tool and multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back