Asus M2N-SLI Series SoundMax: Cracks, Pops, Poor Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe MB W/ SoundMax onboard sound. I've been reading tonnes of related forums all week and i still cannot fix the poor sound quality, cracks, pops and so on, music is poor, sound FX are the worst, and internet sound does not work. I have tried Regedit(wavemapper) already it did not help much. I did a fresh install for the second time this week and still no improvment. When i first assembled my new machine and ran it 6 mths ago everything worked perfectly, so i know it did work before, up until about 2 wks ago. i have already tried most of the generic and basic fixes but still no improvement. everything on my comp works great except my sound, I am trying to avoid a getting new sound card because i do not want one and my case is aready quite full. I am running out of ideas and any help would be appreaciated. THX

OS - XP Home SP1 Fully Updated
MB - M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Prsr - AMD 64 X2 DuCore 4800+
Mem - 2G ddr2
Vid - Radeon X1950
HDD - Segate 320G SATA (x2)

there is no audio tab, there is sound or music, i have looked at this before. it does not say anything negative or out of the ordinary, however i used the test button on both and with the music test i do indeed get sound, but on the sound test i get nothing

Did you build this comp yourself or is it store bought?? Could be a possibility that Windows is corrupt. Also, try downloading XP Service Pack 2 since it contained many fixes that SP1 did not have. If this doesn't fix the problem, try doing a restore of Windows (clean install).

sghiznaneck said:
Did you build this comp yourself or is it store bought?? Could be a possibility that Windows is corrupt. Also, try downloading XP Service Pack 2 since it contained many fixes that SP1 did not have. If this doesn't fix the problem, try doing a restore of Windows (clean install).
Doubt it. I have the exact same motherboard. And when I was running XP SP2 I had the same problem. Only way I managed to fix it was by getting a driver update from the Asus website. But after a format it would happen again, so I had to download drivers again.

In Vista there is no need for drivers as Vista automatically detects and installs the correct drivers and makes it so incredibly easy. I love Vista.

Doubt it. I have the exact same motherboard. And when I was running XP SP2 I had the same problem. Only way I managed to fix it was by getting a driver update from the Asus website. But after a format it would happen again, so I had to download drivers again.

i have the same problem, it use to work great then i formatted and it hassent worked right since, i then reformatted again and still no improvement

*also it sometimes hangs on POSTand the LED blinks twice, not very often, im not sure what this means

I'm inclined to believe that your problem is not hardware specific, or possibly even OS-specific.

Since May of '07 I have been running my home-built machine (specs at bottom) under Vista 32-bit. Audio has been running beautifully. I have two sound cards (onboard and PCI), as well as a USB headset.

As CRClarke said, everything was running fine up until a few weeks ago, when right around Christmas I noticed that, while playing vids on YouTube, the sound was popping and cracking, like an old LP. I tried plugging in analog earphones, changing sources to both USB and the other sound card with identical results. It happens right from boot. It happens regardless of what sound source I am playing or what I am playing it to.

I have not done any hardware or software changes since November, and the change was minimal (uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox).

Intel Motherboard D945PSN with Sigmatel HD Audio
Intel Pentium D 935
2 GB RAM
Vista 32-Bit
Creative SoundBlaster 24 Bit Audigy 2 ZS Surround PCI
Logitech USB Headset

Contents of DxDiag.txt attached.

-Jerry

As I've said, both the Audigy, the Onboard, and the USB were all working flawlessly until recently. I have not made any changes to any of them or their drivers. ALL outputs produce the same effect, and so it cannot be a setting of any individual output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back