ASUS mobo S/PDIF output questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrari24

My M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard has a built-in coaxial and TOSLINK S/PDIF audio out on it, but when I connect it to my 5.1 surround sound receiver it says PCM 48 and only does 2.1 audio. I have updated the SoundMax program for that audio system, but to no avail. I called ASUS technical support and the person I talked to said that I needed this but I don't understand why, since I already have the ports on my motherboard, and that card adds them. I don't need to audio-out for each S/PDIF, but I just need 5.1 (or Dolby Digital) on the ones that I already have.

And I know this is not my receiver's problem, since it works properly on my Xbox 360's TOSLINK audio cable.

The sound chip on the mainboard doesn't support Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect. In other words, it won't encode sound into a digital 5.1 stream.

You'll get DD/DTS 5.1 sound from DVD discs or other media that has the sound already encoded in that format, but not with games, for example.

One option could be something like AC3Filter, but I don't know how to use it (with games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back