Asus mobo: Sudden "no CPU installed" message, yet it works. What's going on?

By frankvw
Jun 25, 2005
  1. My computer, based on an ASUS P4T533-C mobo that never gave me any problems, has suddenly and spontanously begun complaining with a "No CPU installed, no CPU installed" error message (verbal spoken message) when I power it up. Then the system proceeds to boot normally. However if I reset it before the POST has completed, I end up in the CMOS setup screen with messages about how the mobo now runs in safe mode after having hung on a previous boot attempt due to an incorrect CPU speed setting. Which is not the case because the CPU setting _is_ correct. When I reset it after POST has completed, no error messages occur.

ASUS support sent a BIOS update, which I have installed as per their instructions including reloading the factory default settings, but to no avail.
    I have made no hardware changes prior to the first occurrence of the problem.

What could cause this? What could I do to trace or fix the problem? Is my mobo about to fail? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

// Frank
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Try reseating the CPU. Could be something got jarred.
  3. thenagual

thenagual TS Rookie

Exact same problem

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my a7n8x. Have you found any solutions yet?
  4. loser2000

loser2000 TS Rookie

So am I, and I have a very beefy and reliable 520w power supply. I rma's my mobo and apparently its clear, however the problem is not consistent so the technicians may have missed it. When I reinstall I shall run diags on my h-disk and also run prime 95 to determine what is going wrong. Btw i'm running a maxtor h-disk and geil memory -

Someone must have found a solution by now - Please enlighten us! :(
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

those motherboards are notorious for being faulty. I know. I had one and got rid of it. You could tear your hair out trying to troubleshoot. Chances are the motherboard has gone bad.

I switched to an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 platinum with no problems.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.