TechSpot

Asus motherboard & large HD conflict?

By CrazE
Jul 21, 2002
  1. Motherboard & HDD conflict?

Hi
    I currently have an ASUS P2B Intel 440BX motherboard and it supports the Ultra DMA/33 Bus Master IDE (correct me if I'm wrong, for the HDD).
    I just recently bought a Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm harddrive...

I'm wondering would my motherboard be able to support this harddrive that i just got?
    I asked the dealer where I bought the drive and he said that all I need to do is upgrade the BIOS (which I already did).

From the way he said it, I'm not convinced that it is all I have to do...

Could someone please help me out..
    Thanx

2. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Newcomer welcome & hello!

You didn't mention which OS you'll be using with that hdd - GNU Linux handles 40GB hdds just fine even with old motherboards, for example. Win95 & 98 might have problems with disks larger than 32GB. Also, some Award 4.5x BIOSes don't support disks larger than 32GB - but again, it doesn't affect GNU Linux ;).
    That said, I recommend creating, say, 31.5 GB partition first, installing an OS to it, then creating another partition for data (it's wise to have data & OS on separate partitions anyway).

4. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

If you have trouble getting it to detect correctly, you can use the MAXBLAST utility from Maxtor which is a work around for the large drive problem, it will also allow you to format and partition the drive.

5. CrazE

CrazE TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hello...
    :D
    I guess I should have written my OS in....sorry....I'm running Windows XP with an 8 gig hard drive already...I'm planning on keeping my 8 gig in and run my XP from that drive...
    Don't know what else to say...thanx for the help...
    Please keep it coming...I need all the help i could get cuz I don't want to open the package until I'm certain my motherboard could run the 40gig drive...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.