Asus' new mini-PCs feature Skylake CPUs, passive cooling

Scorpus

Staff member

Alongside the launch of an immense number of new products at Computex 2015, Asus has also shown off a handful of new mini-PCs that feature currently unnamed Intel Core processors from the company's upcoming 'Skylake' line.

The VivoPC VC65 is the largest of the mini-PCs announced by Asus. Rather than coming with an external power brick, the VC65 integrates hte necessary power hardware into the body of the mini-PC. It also comes with RAID support, and although there are no specifics on the exact configurations supported, the mini-PC likely comes with two 2.5-inch drive bays.

On the smaller side is the VivoPC UN65H which, like the VC65, packs an Intel Skylake processor, with Asus specifying this CPU includes Iris Pro graphics. This mini-PC includes M.2 and 2.5-inch storage support, though other hardware isn't known at this stage.

asus mini-pcs skylake cpus intel mini-pc desktop pc skylake

The UN45 is similar to the UN65H, though Asus has ditched fan-based cooling for an entirely passive design. The processor used in the UN45 is unknown at this stage, though it's likely a low-power SKU, possibly a new Core M chip, considering the passive cooling solution.

There's no word on pricing or availability for these three new mini-PCs from Asus, though we can expect them to land once Intel has formally announced their Skylake line-up.

Permalink to story.

Something tells me it won't be near as good as Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH,

which you can fit with Samsung XP951 512GB, and have the meanest little PC out there.

UPDATE: If it doesn't have HDMI 2.0, it's a no go, as it is supposed to have what's necessary to make at least a good video player.

Last edited:
Something tells me it won't be near as good as Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH

Well, I can't argue with you on your "specific" product comparison. But can I be frank for a moment(that's not my real name), these ASUS mini-PCs are going to be using 6th generation Intel Core CPUs. And that alone makes them more desireable than a 5th generation based product for me personally. However, these specific models aren't very stylish imho.

How is ASUS getting 6th generation SkyLake based products to market before the company who actually makes them? Wow. I think Intel NUCs are more aesthetically pleasing.

And one last comment I have to make is my preference for keeping the power supplies outside the components they are powering. Keep the power supplies outside. What's the gain of compressing everything together? Space saving? I think it has the opposite effect. I think the Mini-PC looks bigger and more heat will be concentrated in the device.

So my predictions for me purchasing any of these specific models? Not gonna happen. I want the chassis smaller, the power supply kept outside the box and better looking chassis. In other words, an Intel NUC. They are doing it perfect right now. Stop sacrificing style when you design products people. Come On. Microsoft put functionality over style in Windows 8 and look at their sales numbers.

You cannot ignore it.

Last edited:
How is ASUS getting 6th generation SkyLake based products to market before the company who actually makes them? Wow. I think Intel NUCs are more aesthetically pleasing.

They ANNOUNCED them... they aren't actually selling any yet... nor will they until AFTER Intel officially introduces Skylake...

Something tells me it won't be near as good as Intel NUC Kit NUC5i7RYH

Well, I can't argue with you on your "specific" product comparison. But can I be frank for a moment(that's not my real name), these ASUS mini-PCs are going to be using 6th generation Intel Core CPUs. And that alone makes them more desireable than a 5th generation based product for me personally. However, these specific models aren't very stylish imho.

And one last comment I have to make is my preference for keeping the power supplies outside the components they are powering. Keep the power supplies outside. What's the gain of compressing everything together? Space saving? I think it has the opposite effect. I think the Mini-PC looks bigger and more heat will be concentrated in the device.

So my predictions for me purchasing any of these specific models? Not gonna happen. I want the chassis smaller, the power supply kept outside the box and better looking chassis. In other words, an Intel NUC. They are doing it perfect right now. Stop sacrificing style when you design products people. Come On. Microsoft put functionality over style in Windows 8 and look at their sales numbers.

You cannot ignore it.
I think asus is gonna make a wonderful nuc , better than intel; you don't have to worry , not a bit, about the insided power supply.

Back