Asus P4C800-E Deluxe // (1) IDE HDD -Adding SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickM

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
I have recently built a system using an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo.
A few years ago a 20 GIG HDD was decent but now with the much larger HDD's it is concidered pretty small.
I am thinking of purchasing a 160 ~ 200 GB SATA HDD.
I am currently using the 20 GIG "IDE" HDD .
Could one of you "Pro's" tell me:
(1) If I purchase a SATA can I still use the 20 GB IDE HDD ?
(2) Are there any programs out there that I can transfer all the contents of the 20 GB IDE HDD to the SATA HDD ?
(3) Will I be creating a headache for myself setting up the SATA HDD ?
(4) Will the SATA make a noticable difference ?
Any information will be appreciated.
I am new to the world of SATA.
Thank you.
Rick M.

It doesn't look like running both drives is an issue if you are using Windows 2000 or XP.

From the Manual:
In a legacy operating system (DOS, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT) environment, using the Serial ATA connectors will disable the ICHR chipset support to one of the IDE channels (either primary or secondary channel).

I would not recommend using one SATA drive and one PATA drive if you want to set up RAID 0. The speeds should be the same on all drives used in a raid array.

Check out pages 2-23 and 2-24 of the manual. It seems to indicate that you can use them together.

If you don't have the manual you can download it here.

Hope this helps.

SATA Config

Something else you may want to consider is totally junking the 20GIG in favor of a matching SATA drive to run in a RAID0 config (if your MB supports it) There are also ATA133 PCI card that you could tie into your old 20GIG and put a huge page file on it. Since its still functional, that would be a workable "afterlife" for it.

C0d3Warr10r

Big Blue:
Asus P4P800 I865PE
P4 2.8GHz 800MHz
2048MB KingMax PC-3200
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 /160GB /7200RPM /8MB Cache
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Enermax 420W PSU
Aspire X-Dreamer II
Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW
Sony 48X CD-RW
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT
3DMark03 Score: 10,035

Hai All ,
I Have Bought P4c800-e Deluxe Mobo To Make A Good Daw For May Studio. Please Help Me How I Can Add Hdds To Get raid0+1 Array.
THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back