Asus P4P800/Radeon 9600 Pro AGP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently built myself another computer and have a problem getting the AGP to work.
I was originally using the ATI Catalyst drivers and I could not get the AGP to work. I would go into their smartgear thing, select 2X/4X/8X (I tried them all) and let it restart my computer to test. Every time I rebooted I got the same results... it just selected AGP off.
I have now downloaded the Omega 3rd party drivers. The card, in my opinion, works better now than with the other ATI drivers; however, I still cannot get the AGP to stick.
I can go in through SmartGart using the shortcut Omega drivers uses and try to select AGP read/write On and it does not work. I can go in through advanced properties (in the display properties) and go to the SmartGart tab and try there. It has "Fast Write" grayed out and turned off. Also, it allows me to only select 4X/8X AGP. It is currently set to off. If I try to slide it over to either 4X or 8X AGP it asks if I want to restart and test it, I say okay and when it restarts it's once again turned off.

I don't understand what the problem could be. My computer must be sickyl. :dead:

I tried your suggested solution but it still doesn't work. When it reboots it still keeps it off.

In my BIOS I have a "Graphic Adapter Priority" header with two options "AGP/PCI" and "PCI/AGP". It's currently set to "AGP/PCI". Coul that be the problem?

I was haveing the same problem, and in my search i can across your post. I did find a simple resolution, so thought I'd share hope this helps...

Go to intels website and download:

The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility installs the Windows* INF files. The INF files inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality, such as AGP, USB, Core PCI, and ISAPNP services.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?ASP?AGR=N&PRODUCTID=573&DWNLDID=7484

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Thank you for stopping by to post your solution.
Hope to see you stick around to help others, or stop in if you have any other problems of your own.

Same Problem

I have the same problem, and nothing posted here has fixed it

Relevant System Specs

CPU : AMD Athlon 2600+ :)
(AGP 4x, 8x) :D
GPU : ATi Radeon 9600 256 MB :)
RAM : 1.25GB DDR RAM :D
Cooling : Sufficient :)

----------

In DXDIAG, it registers AGP Texture Accelleration to be "not avaliable"

I then Uninstalled SMARTGART, but that didnt help either - so i just removed and reinstalled all the drivers again.

I have Tried Purging my system of the ATi Drivers, then redownloaded and reinstall them, no help there... Still, AGP = Off, Tex Accel = Off

I Downloaded the Intel Chipset Soft. Install utility, and i thought it wouldnt work anyway, scince i dont have any intel hardware on my system, and as i suspected, it said no compatible hardware was detected.

----------

This is extremely stressing, because even though my Radeon 9600 at 0xAGP is much better than a Radeon 9000 at 4xAGP, it annoys me that im getting really really low FPS on games that require like, 1GHz CPU, and a Radeon 8500 is Reccomended, and also, all my friends who have much worse systems than me, get better performance at higher settings.

Any ideas for fixing this with AMD?

The solution is the same for you Joshua, but you need the chipset drivers for a non-Intel chipset. Try to find what make/model motherboard you have or what chipset your system has and install the appropriate chipset drivers.

Chances are you have VIA or NFORCE chipset if it's an AMD. You'll need to dig around in your device manager or any manuals you have for your system to discover which of the two you'll need to update.

Good luck

I'm gonna use this thread to post a similar problem.

I have the same motherboard Asus P4P800-VM and the 9600 250mb card.

When I enable the radeon I get artifacting on the windows loading screen, then the screen goes black and my monitor turns off and I can't see the login screen.

I can't login to change the smartgart settings and I can't change the AGP speeds on the motherboard, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back