TechSpot

ASUS P4P800-X BAD BIOS Checksum

By BARTamiroquai
Mar 4, 2006
  1. I have 2 Harddisks installed on Primary IDE. The AOpen CDwriter and ASUS DVD writer install on Seceondary IDE. The system worked perfectly.

Recently I bought a WESTERN DIGITAL SATA2 250GB (WD2500) and had it install on the First SATA and I had already set the jumper to SATA1 mode at the back of the harddisk. When I checked the BIOS, the Harddisk name was visible at the First SATA then I saved and ReBOOTed. The System said
    Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS Recovery...
    Checking for floppy...
    Floppy not found!
    (After several times I then put the ASUS CD that came with the M/B )
    Checking for CD-ROM
    CD-ROM found.
    Reading file "P4P800-X.ROM". Completed.
    Error! ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID.

I tried to reboot the system again and again and Removed the SATA2 Harddisk until the ASUS Logo appeared on the screen and i had to set the time and date of the system again in the BIOS menu.

Using WinXP, I used the ASUSLiveupdate to copy the current BIOS from the Mainboard to a Floppy disk and rename the file to "P4P800-X.rom"

Then I tried to reboot from the WindowsXP for 5 times (Without the SATA2 installed) No Problem!

I then connected the SATA2 Harddisk and turn on the system and the same problem happened.
    With the ASUS BISOCrashFree2 function, I use the floppy disk containing the system P4P800-X.rom and it said i have to turn off and on the system.(After the flshing and programming) I did it and The same problem happened(Bad BIOS checksum)

The Problem now is In many cases including with or without SATA2 HD installed and using the ASUS-CDROM or my floppy disk. The "Bad BIOS checksum" always appeared. I dont know what to do now. I'm so depressed Pls HELP :(

SYSTEM Information:
    BIOS version 1009
    1.8 GHz Intel
    Winfast A170 Gforce4MX (AGP4X)
    1 GBs RAM (256,256,512)
    120GBs Seagate, 40 GBs Maxtor, ASUS DVD writer, AOpen CDWriter
    Juli@ Audio card
    and the recently bought WesternDigital 250GBs SATA2 HD (WD2500)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.