Asus P5KC mobo on fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Ive just bought 2 new machines with the following components:

Asus P5KC
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
OCZ 700GXS PSU
OCZ RAM (8 Gig on one and 4 Gig on other)
Coolermaster RC-732 Praetorian case
Sparkle GF8800 GTS Graphics card

I have built both machines (i read the manuals to be sure was setting everything up right) but when I have powered each of them up for the first time the have both caught on fire!

On the first one (8 Gig one), the track leading from the main power input to the PWR_FAN connector is frazzled and had smoke coming of it and the CPU fan wont work any more.

On the other, once i powerd it up it turned off almost straight away, after switching the PSU of and back on again (the power LED on the board lit up) i notice that one of the transistors next to the slot for the graphics card was glowing and then started smoking.

Can anyone explain (from the component list i have provided) why this would happen orther than a faulty mobo. I am posotive that everythig is compatable.

It just seems strange that they would both have problems.

Thanks i advance

Rob T

Error in pin placement... somehow you have reversed some points on something critical... will be difficult to get replacement under warranty unless you did exactly as the manual said.

Thanks for the reply.....

Im sure that is not the case...i will check when i get home, but i am absolutley posative that everything is in the right place and in the right way.

If this is what i have done what are the chances ive bust some of the other components?

take the motherboards out and check that you did not have extra mounting stubs in place. These will short out the contacts on the PSB and can cause the problems you describe.

Thanks Albert

There were 9 mounting stubs that i put on the case as specified in the manual, and the board was then screwed into all of them.

Ive just spoke to the supplier of these mobos and they tell me that they have had a few of theses boards back but hes unaware of the details why the boards were returned.

Hopefuly it is a bad batch....and hopefuly the CPUs arnt fried!!!!

AlbertLionheart said:
take the motherboards out and check that you did not have extra mounting stubs in place. These will short out the contacts on the PSB and can cause the problems you describe.

Albert, surely the system would 'just' short out wouldn't it? Pretty sure this has happened to me before cos the mobo was touching the case, but it didn't fry anything.

Is the psu at the right voltage? 230v or 115v?

Sorry if anyone feels I was teaching them to suck eggs.
If there are any of the metal support studs in contact with the underneath of the board where there is no screw hole, they can short out the board. Depending where the short is will dictate how much damage is done.
I have seen home build systems from one extreme to the other - some just won't boot, others have fried the board and blown the fuse in the PSU.
Whatever, the rule has to be very simple: if there ain't a screwhole for it and it needs support, use a proper plastic support oiece.

Ok mate thanks. I didn't know there could be varying states of damage caused by that problem. Now i know, nice one :)

Hi

I will need to check the PSU when i get home....i think its 230v

Albert: thanks...its always worth checking the obvious things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back