Asus P5ld2 Bios Question?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My motherboard is a ASUS P5LD2 and I am using a EM64T Intel Chip...the bios no longer gives me the option for HYPERTHEADING. I've updated it three times now and still NADA! It use to be there so what's the deal. I'm stumped. Can any one help?

What CPU is it exactly?

Not all EMT64 Pentium or Celeron CPU's offer support for Hyperthreading, especially the Dual-Cores. Most Single-Core and Dual-Core Pentium D and Celeron CPU's do NOT have Hyperthreading.

Nodsu said:
Perhaps HT is enabled by default now?

It is my understanding that flashing the BIOS will reset all defaults. Hyperthreading is an ENABLE / DISABLE option according to the maual as well as when I originally built the system. I find it a little odd that it would disapear from the Advanced Options menu once enabled in setup, don't you?

It'll disappear from the BIOS (or be grey/unavailable) if the BIOS detects the CPU as not having Hyperthreading support. This is standard with ASUS mainboards/BIOS's.

It could be your CPU does not have Hyperthreading support, or the BIOS doesn't properly recognize it if it does indeed support HT.

But without knowing what precise CPU you have, it's impossible to determine.

Dee Dee Dee

Sharkfood said:
What CPU is it exactly?

Not all EMT64 Pentium or Celeron CPU's offer support for Hyperthreading, especially the Dual-Cores. Most Single-Core and Dual-Core Pentium D and Celeron CPU's do NOT have Hyperthreading.

You are absolutely right and I'm a complete ***** for not actually reading the processor spec's in advance of purchase. I have the the 830 and according to Intels web site it does not have hyperthreading. I will have to kick the sob's **** who sold it to me in the first place.

I will beg to indulge your patience one more time with another question. Should I enable Speedstep technology and the execute disable options running xp pro? Will it make any difference on performance?

Looks like I'm building a new computer sooner then I had expected. :( Core 2 duo seem to truly rock.

Hi again hyperthreat,
Well, I don't know if I'd just fling that CPU out the window as it's really aimed at the hardercore gamer-user. It's a fine CPU for games.

Hyperthreading, while it can yield a smallish boost in business application and overall Windows operation, it can actually cause a bit more overhead or dimished performance in most games.

Remember, hyperthreading or not, instructions are all being fed to the same cpu core for processing. While hyperthreading effectively gives multiple thread pathways to the same CPU core, this is really not very well supported in games (like maybe 2-3 total) and still wont yield too much advantage if you're mainly interested in gaming. Many "hardcore" gamers run the single-threaded nt kernel in XP and game with this disabled, especially when overclocking for the best game performance. The overhead involved coupled with there really only being a single CPU core generally doesn't even pay off.. and usually costs more than it saves.

In Windows when doing a bunch of things, this flipflops a bit. Burning, playing MP3's, running Word, Photoshop and doing a bunch of things at once.. this can yield smallish gains as it helps keep the core saturated a little bit better as Windows apps are usually smaller/burstier bits of processing needed spanning lots of running applications. Hyperthreading is better suited to this environment.

If you're considering returning the CPU for multi-threading performance, and your motherboard does not have the voltage for Core 2, I'd simply say pick up a true-blue dual-core like the Preslers (which are DIRT cheap now) or a lower end core 2 duo, if your motherboard supports this. You can get a Presler 3.0ghz x 2, 800mhz FSB for $160 at NewEgg and this is truly the best of both worlds.. single core for gaming, true dual-core for XP threading, and a huge 2 x 2MB cache (2m for each core) to help take the byte out of overhead from the process.

Sharkfood said:
Hi again hyperthreat,
Well, I don't know if I'd just fling that CPU out the window as it's really aimed at the hardercore gamer-user. It's a fine CPU for games.

Hyperthreading, while it can yield a smallish boost in business application and overall Windows operation, it can actually cause a bit more overhead or dimished performance in most games.

Remember, hyperthreading or not, instructions are all being fed to the same cpu core for processing. While hyperthreading effectively gives multiple thread pathways to the same CPU core, this is really not very well supported in games (like maybe 2-3 total) and still wont yield too much advantage if you're mainly interested in gaming. Many "hardcore" gamers run the single-threaded nt kernel in XP and game with this disabled, especially when overclocking for the best game performance. The overhead involved coupled with there really only being a single CPU core generally doesn't even pay off.. and usually costs more than it saves.

In Windows when doing a bunch of things, this flipflops a bit. Burning, playing MP3's, running Word, Photoshop and doing a bunch of things at once.. this can yield smallish gains as it helps keep the core saturated a little bit better as Windows apps are usually smaller/burstier bits of processing needed spanning lots of running applications. Hyperthreading is better suited to this environment.

If you're considering returning the CPU for multi-threading performance, and your motherboard does not have the voltage for Core 2, I'd simply say pick up a true-blue dual-core like the Preslers (which are DIRT cheap now) or a lower end core 2 duo, if your motherboard supports this. You can get a Presler 3.0ghz x 2, 800mhz FSB for $160 at NewEgg and this is truly the best of both worlds.. single core for gaming, true dual-core for XP threading, and a huge 2 x 2MB cache (2m for each core) to help take the byte out of overhead from the process.

I do not game AT ALL.. My system is primarily used for video editing, music production, web design and digital photo editing. I obviously wasn't properly qualified by the sales person when buying my gear. My current system is a socket 775 so I would need to purchase the best supporting CPU that will indulge my need for speed.

I actually had a hypertheading p4 3GIG 512 cache on my last system. I just dug out my old chip and it's got a few bent pins so I'm not sure if I messed it up or not. :( Improper storage. I know...I'm looking fairly imcompetent at this point.

I wonder if I go for the Core2 duo with SLI if this is over kill for video editing and music production? I really need this for music more then anything else and I AM NOT INTERESTED IN BUYING A MAC. :(

Could you stear me to a motherboard and chip that would give me what I need? I truly appreciate the time you've invested in helping me out.

HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back