ASUS P5LD2 HDD detection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have recently bought a system based on ASUS P5LD2 motherboard, with Pentium 2.8 GHz Dual Core processor, 2x512 Kingston memory, GigaByte Geforce 7300GT and WD 2500-YS SATA II drive.

The problem occurs already at device detection. The hdd is connected to SATA1 (primary) and my DVD-RW is connected to secondary EIDE channel.

During the auto-detection phase the BIOS detects the DVD-Rom, but fails to display the hdd connected to the primary sata channel. However, if I enter in the BIOS, the SATA HDD appears on the main display, it appears as connected on the third IDE master channel. The hdd parameters are displayed correctly. I have tried to connect it on every SATA channel, the results are:

- on SATA1: third IDE master
- on SATA2: fourth IDE master
- on SATA3: third IDE slave
- on SATA4: fourth IDE slave

By the way, on the Main display the DVD drive does not appear.

On the Boot menu both of the drives appear. However if I select to boot from the DVD drive, inserting a Windows or Linux boot CD, the system crashes (Windows: blue screen after loading the drives; Linux: freezes).

I can't tell if it is a motherboard or a hdd error, or simply a BIOS error and the only issue is to update it. Or there is something wrongly set in the BIOS, although I have tried with the default settings.

If the BIOS needs update I will need some guidelines, because I don't have a floppy drive. I have another hdd (not SATA). From this I could boot in safe mode, although with the SATA drive the system crashed when I wanted to boot from this drive. I have to try without the sata drive.

Anyway, If somebody knows any sollution please don't hesitate to post it.

Thanks in advance!

The mainboard has 4 SATA connections. I have connected to SATA1, meaning that it is on the first SATA master.

I don't know how the motherboard correlates with its displayings, but in the BIOS always appears on the third or fourth IDE.

The main problem is that apparently at the auto-detect phase the SATA drive does not appear, only the normal IDE cable drives. But in the bios only the SATA drive appears.

However in the BOOT menu all of them appears.

But the system crashes at a boot install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back