ASUS P8Z77-M rev 1.xx Onboard audio just "died"

Dino Dub

Yesterday I was playing GTA V for at least 30min, when all of a sudden, Realtek HD Audio took me out of the game to desktop (game was still running in the background) and notified me that the green audio jack has been unplugged. From that point on I lost my sound completely.

Steps I took
:

1. Rebooted, shutdown/turned on my PC,
2. tested the logitech z5500 audio ins. on my other PC, they work (eliminating the speaker problem),
3. hooked up small usb powered speakers to green jack to ASUS mobo, NOT working again (they work fine too on my other PC)
4. Went to Device Manager Enabled/Disabled Realtek HD Audio controller.
5. Also tried all the settings available for speaker configuration in the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel with both USB speakers and Z5500, and headphones also, none of them work too.
6. Made sure that Realtek was my default playback device (since I had my SAMSUNG SMART TV hooked up, but turned off).

Update: Just few minutes ago, I have also tried uninstalling Realtek Drivers, installed new 64bit only v6.0 for Win7 64bit OS, uninstalled Radeon Crimson Driver 6.1 (Hotfix Update), installed older 5.7.1 Catalyst, nothing!

Also later yesterday, Realtek Control Center started notifying me that the jacks have been plugged out/back in without anything connected to them. I had to turn it off, popup was driving me crazy. Also I just figured out that the jack it is showing is FRONT GREEN AUDIO PORT...
I haven't yet had time to go Safe Mode and reinstall audio/chipset drivers, which I don't think would help much.
Device Manager reports no problems, whatsoever. At the moment, im using some old MSTech 5.1 pci card, which hasn't got the seeting for 6channel, only quad... lol
Is this motherboard known for audio simply disappearing?
I'd like you to help me, before I opt-out to RMA it, since it is under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Loose connection? - Did you check connection from motherboard to 'front green audio port'?

bad wire? - Did you remove that connection from motherboard entirely?

I had an Antec case which was causing short on front panel....

Loose connection? - Did you check connection from motherboard to 'front green audio port'?

bad wire? - Did you remove that connection from motherboard entirely?

I had an Antec case which was causing short on front panel....

Thanks for your reply.
Exactly what was happening. The dust built up and caused the green audio port to go crazy. That was the last thing I didn't check initially, but eventually did today morning. I disconnected the connector to the board, and the back panel ports started working immediately. I was so much relieved knowing the amazing Realtek chip was working fine again. In these situations people always tend to think the worst case, when it actually is something so simple as dust problems. :)

Back