Asus ROG G752VS Laptop Review: GeForce GTX 1070 Inside

Scorpus

Staff member

The biggest thing to happen to gaming laptops this year is the launch of Nvidia’s GeForce 10 series. Bringing performance parity with their desktop counterparts, Nvidia’s new graphics chips are a revolutionary step for mobile PC gaming that will allow laptops to be treated as first-class citizens for the first time.

Case in point, the new Asus ROG G752VS is a massive 17-inch system that packs a GeForce GTX 1070 GPU. The GTX 1070 replaces the GTX 980 (the more powerful, non-M variant) in Nvidia’s mobile line-up, with both chips featuring similar TDPs near the 150-watt mark. This is a lot of power to dissipate, hence the G752VS' use of a sizable cooling solution.

The unit we received for testing packs some beefy hardware including an overclocked Core i7-6820HK processor, 64 GB of DDR4 2400 MHz memory, a 1 TB PCIe SSD, 1 TB hard drive, a 17.3-inch 1080p IPS LCD with G-Sync, and USB 3.1 Type-C.

Read the complete review.

Interesting that there s no battery life test, although I can guess that it isnt very good.

I've never understood these kinds of "gaming" laptops. Regular gaming laptops I understand, even 17 inchers, but when they get this big and heavy that they live on a desk, it's literally a desktop, and about as easy to move as one. Why not just build a desktop?

especially "gamer" models like this, that thing is just...ugly. It looks like a 12 year old designed it. Who would be seen in public with one of those? At least with the LEDs turned off, the new alienwares resemble normal laptops. Not that it would matter with short battery life, this thing will never go outside except to go to LAN parties, and those are pretty rare nowadays.

I do not understand the bulkiness in gaming "notebooks", they are almost meant to be stationary because your back will eventually kill you, when I'm updating mine I'll get something like the Razer Blade (Although I do not like Razer as a brand anymore, it's definitely slick, thin and lightweight, something you want in a mobile device.

The Core i7-6820HK in my review unit was around 25% faster than the i7-6700HQ we typically see in gaming laptops
The 6700 is not typical on the $2k< price range. Also on the basic that starts at $2k doesn't come with a 6820, that one will set you back almost another $k with a similar configuration.
I do enjoy it having the refreshed video card though.

I have to wonder, if a laptop is going to spend all of its time plugged in, would it be better to remove the battery and save it for when you need to go mobile rather than constantly recharging it?

I have to wonder, if a laptop is going to spend all of its time plugged in, would it be better to remove the battery and save it for when you need to go mobile rather than constantly recharging it?
It wont constantly recharge it. once that battery is full, the charging circuit will stop charging the battery. Same thing smartphones do. Storing it with a full charge is also advised against, as it will cause more damaged if kept full. You are supposed to discharge it to ~60% or so before storing it.

Keeping the battery plugged in wont have any negative effects VS keeping it in a box.

Hi and welcome to the future, where li-ion batteries don't need to be disconnected and all that crap is no longer good advice but more on the grandpa saying "in my days we used to remove the battery to keep it in top shape for the full half an hour it lasted".

Hi and welcome to the future, where li-ion batteries don't need to be disconnected and all that crap is no longer good advice but more on the grandpa saying "in my days we used to remove the battery to keep it in top shape for the full half an hour it lasted".
"what is this lithi thingy you're talking about youngster? We used NiCd batteries and we LIKED em! none of this fancy lidium eye-on business."

Interesting review thanks. Wouldn't be in the market for a laptop that large and heavy but it's always nice to know what you can do at the pointy end.

Do you know the model of NVMe SSD they use?

Interesting review thanks. Wouldn't be in the market for a laptop that large and heavy but it's always nice to know what you can do at the pointy end.

Do you know the model of NVMe SSD they use?

It's a Toshiba THNSN5512GPU7 and Samsung MZVPV512 in RAID 0

As for battery life, it sucks, and considering the weight you wouldn't want to move it anyway

I do not understand the bulkiness in gaming "notebooks"...
Easy: cooling. It is always a design decision and an engineering compromise. Modern video cards and CPUs unavoidably produce a lot of heat, and slim notebooks have small, fast spinning, very noisy and less efficient cooling fans (small overstressed fans will not last as long as larger, slower fans, and are difficult to replace). It is up to a user to decide which compromise is acceptable, which is not. Of course there are a few designs with external GPU casing (not many at the moment) for stationary use, but again, this is another compromise some people may like, some not.

Back