Asus ROG Swift PG258Q Gaming Monitor Review

Jos

Staff
The day I pay that much for a 1080p, TN monitor is the day they take me to the funny farm. I don't care if it even has a 500 Terra Hz refresh rate, it makes absolutely no economic sense. I'd even baulk at paying that much for 60" 4K TV.

I have to disagree with the part about having a 240Hz is "small but still competitive importance".
This is the same mentality that made all gaming hardware waaaaaaaaay overpriced targeting gamers.

Supporting this is supporting "our awesome super duper extreme gaming hardware featuring bullshit marketing shenanigans is guaranteed to give you the competitive edge over other gamers, while costing you 3.5x what it should be of course"

Ha ha Asus... Your specs on this monitor lost me before the lede was even done, but for Tim's sake I kept on reading.

TN panels are still not worth having in my opinion. IPS 144hz or VA panels are both much nicer pictures. OLED or QLED would be great though.

TN panels are still not worth having in my opinion. IPS 144hz or VA panels are both much nicer pictures. OLED or QLED would be great though.

Agreed. Most gamers in the right mind (and not using daddy's wallet) will simply buy a sub-$200 monitor IPS monitor. I doubt many would bother with 4K, if they had any sense, but then it's all in personal taste at that point. For me, it's 1080p, 5ms or faster, with as many ports as possible and only certain brands will do.

You are essentially paying for the G-Sync and high refresh rate. The size is the same used in most tournaments and it's obvious who they are targeting. G-Sync though is a questionable addition. It's affect is already mitigated at 144 Hz so I can imagine that at 240 Hz it wont' do much.

So upgrading a 144Hz panel to this one is like going from 1080Ti to Titan X, makes only sense if you've got money to burn, otherwise ain't worth it.
1080p... I just couldn't do it to myself. Going back to 1080p. I don't know what pros run but arrghh my eyes!

I guess if you're so into response time that you couldn't care less about picture quality, this is the monitor for you. I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole at any price.

The day I pay that much for a 1080p, TN monitor is the day they take me to the funny farm. I don't care if it even has a 500 Terra Hz refresh rate, it makes absolutely no economic sense. I'd even baulk at paying that much for 60" 4K TV.
Asus has become the new Intel or Nvidia with the prices for their monitors and tech they sell all overpriced for what you get.

Asus has become the new Intel or Nvidia with the prices for their monitors and tech they sell all overpriced for what you get.
There isn't much competition in this space. I was looking for 27" 2k >100Hz IPS Gsync. There are only 2 options iirc. The Acer has bad backlight bleed issues as well. There just isn't much of a market for high range monitors like that.

After owning Asus' train wreck transformer tablet, I will never purchase another one of their products.

Ahem... Apple??? Or do they sell competitively priced, good value for money objects? And then there's also Corsair. Once most manufacturers brand becomes well known, overcharging is just part of the game.

Ahem... Apple??? Or do they sell competitively priced, good value for money objects? And then there's also Corsair. Once most manufacturers brand becomes well known, overcharging is just part of the game.
I wouldn't quote Apple in the same breath they are at a different level to most at over quoting and prices.

Back