Asus' stylish ZenWatch gets official with hefty price tag

By Shawn Knight
Sep 3, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Asus' oft-teased ZenWatch has finally broken cover at IFA in Berlin. We've known for quite some time that the wearable didn't feature a trendy circular watchface like its competitors but even still, Asus' first smartwatch looks impressive.

Read more
  2. If this only had a sim tray......
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

Now is not the time to go ape about smartwatches and blow unnecessary bucks on them, they've yet to be properly refined and made more compelling. If they do become a fad then a few years down the line they may be worth a glance or two (figuratively speaking of course).
  4. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 245   +63

Now, only if they can make something as solid as my Omega Titanium Speedmaster. These watches don't look like they can stand up for long, durability and style.
  5. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Addict Posts: 269   +138

I couldn't agree with you more. This technology is really in it's infancy right now. I'm still waiting to see something worth my money.
  6. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 416   +43

Far too powerful in processing power with Snapdragon 400, very low on RAM and too much graphic power for a 320 by 320 screen, resulting probably in a very poor battery life. The design looks elegant, but it seems there are no physical home button or else.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I really hope the iWatch is good. All the android smart watches aren't too impressive IMO :(.
  8. Marty LK

Marty LK TS Rookie

Though nice looking and has an OLED, I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it. It's an Asus product...
  9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,370   +2,161

The problem with smartwatches is that they cannot hold their value over time. If you drop extra money on a Rolex, a Mont Blanc, or some other luxury time piece, you can at least sell it later on down the road for a similar or greater price. Five years down the road, you won't be able to offload a smartwatch for near what you paid for it.

I'll wait until they're $19.99 a pop.
  10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,455   +1,758

I already have a $30.00 Timex "Iron Man", that I'm constantly misplacing. I do so wish I would run across it again, so that once again, I could feel like a tough guy. At least until the the batteries in my pacemaker go dead.

Oh, I'm kidding, I don't really own a watch..