Asus' Transformer Book Chi family is an inexpensive Surface Pro alternative

Shawn Knight

Staff member

asus transformer book chi intel ces tablet laptop convertible transformer book core m ces 2015 asus transformer book chi t90 chi t100 chi t300 chi

During Asus’ press conference at the Consumer Electronics Show, the company announced a new family of Windows-based convertible tablets. The Transformer Book Chi family will debut with three models including the low-end T90 Chi as well as the high-end T300 Chi that we first saw at Computex 2014.

Described by Asus CEO Johnny Shih as the ultimate dream machine and compared favorably to Apple’s MacBook Air, the flagship T300 Chi features a 12.5-inch display operating at a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440. Under the hood is a fanless Intel Core M processor (your choice of the Core M 5Y10 or the 5Y71), up to 8GB of RAM and a 128GB solid state drive.

asus transformer book chi intel ces tablet laptop convertible transformer book core m ces 2015 asus transformer book chi t90 chi t100 chi t300 chi

Carved out of aluminum, the chassis measures just 0.65 inches thick with the keyboard attached and only 0.3 inches without it so it is indeed slimmer than a MacBook Air. But at 3.1 pounds with the keyboard (1.6 pounds without it), it’s also a little heavier in its notebook configuration.

Pricing starts at $799 with the 2,560 x 1,440 display however it can be had for $100 less if you opt for a 1080p screen.

If that’s more than you’re looking to spend, the T100 Chi checks in with a smaller 10.1-inch screen and a resolution of 1,920 x 1,200. It’s powered by Intel’s Atom Z3775 Bay Trail chip and comes with your choice of 32GB or 64GB of internal storage. Expect to pay $399 for the opportunity.

Last but not least is the T90 Chi, the cheapest of the bunch with a starting price of $299. Even smaller still at 8.9 inches, the T90 ships with a 1,280 x 800 resolution display and the same Atom hardware and storage options as the T100. One key difference with this model is the fact that its keyboard doesn’t include a touchpad, likely due to lack of real estate.

All three Transformer Book Chi convertibles will be available starting next month.

Permalink to story.

I don't see how this is an alternative to surface. $800 for a computer with such a low-clocked processor? I don't think so. Surface (pro) had a much higher clocked processor. That computer is going to be very slow. No thanks. I'll pick Surface (pro) over that any day. Not that I want an ridiculously overpriced Surface (pro) either...

This feels like a joke -_-
Apparently the market does not understand what makes a good computer.

I don't see how this is an alternative to surface. $800 for a computer with such a low-clocked processor? I don't think so. Surface (pro) had a much higher clocked processor. That computer is going to be very slow. No thanks. I'll pick Surface (pro) over that any day. Not that I want an ridiculously overpriced Surface (pro) either...

This feels like a joke -_-
Apparently the market does not understand what makes a good computer.

Don't be such an arse. processor is not everything. The new Atom's perform quite well and the Core M is highly acclaimed. For a few people (like you) processor power is all that counts. For MOST people, size and battery life are what matters. For MOST people the design of the Chi is superior to the Surface, easier to sit in your lap, easier to type on. The Surface is a nice machine but I'll take one of these over it any day,

Don't be such an arse. processor is not everything. The new Atom's perform quite well and the Core M is highly acclaimed. For a few people (like you) processor power is all that counts. For MOST people, size and battery life are what matters. For MOST people the design of the Chi is superior to the Surface, easier to sit in your lap, easier to type on. The Surface is a nice machine but I'll take one of these over it any day,

And for some it's all about the pricing, and that's also great.

Also, @Guest, why would you like that much horse power on a small convertible tablet that is not meant to be used for coding or graphic design (Or whatever)? The whole idea IS the form factor for daily usage and office productivity, browsing the net, checking emails, some mild editting, taking notes and what not.

For me to compare it to the Surface Pro it had better mention something about the pen input.
Also no mention of a kickstand. But it does look promising.

Back