TechSpot

Asus unveils 4K Zenbook NX500 Ultrabook and five-in-one Transformer Book V

By Shawn Knight
Jun 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Asus is hoping to make a big splash at this year's Computex trade show with the unveiling of some new notebooks including the Zenbook NX500, an Ultrabook sporting a 4K resolution touchscreen display, and the multi-purpose Transformer Book V.

Read more

2. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

15.6 Inches and 4K resolution? Does the average human eye even notice the difference?

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

Awesome spec, but the scaling issues in Windows aren't going away any time soon, that's the only reason I will stick with my Macbook Pro.

Any app not supporting scaling will look completely unusable on a 4K laptop display at native resolution. And that's like over 90% of the software out there. So, thank you, but no, thank you! There are better ways to suck life out of your battery.

Jad Chaar likes this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah that is something Apple has the head up on. It is a shame really.

Speaking of MBPs, that Zenbook looks an awful lot like a MBP... I love how everyone is copying Apple.

VitalyT likes this.
  5. Mr Majestyk

Mr Majestyk TS Enthusiast Posts: 35   +10

Well this only corresponds to 280dpi and given how close you sit to a laptop you'll definitely see the difference compared to FHD. You can even see a difference on a 5" smartphone going from 720p to 1080p.
    For me the real issue is apps that don't do proper scaling in Windows, and whether the screen has a high colour gamut for photographic applications, good uniformity, contrast brightness etc. I'd rather have a superb FHD screen than a second rate 4K screen.