Asus unveils Haswell-powered Chromebox, arriving next month starting at $179

Shawn Knight

Staff member

asus chromebox

Chrome OS has pretty much been limited to laptops up to this point but that’ll soon be changing thanks to devices like the one Asus recently revealed. Known as the Asus Chromebox, it’s a small form factor desktop machine powered by Intel’s Haswell architecture that the company hopes will capture the low-end Windows PC market.

Unlike the portables we’ve seen thus far, the Chromebox is designed for stationary use (think homes, schools and businesses). The box measures 1.65 by 4.88 by 4.88 inches which puts it in the same size range as a Roku streaming box.

asus chromebox

CPU options include the Celeron 2995U clocked at 1.4GHz, the Core i3-4010U at 1.7GHz and the Core i7-4600U running at 2.1GHz. On the graphics side, Celeron users will receive Intel HD graphics while Core i3 and i7 buyers will get Intel HD 4400 graphics.

Elsewhere, the system can be configured with 2GB or 4GB of memory and comes with 16GB of flash storage and 100GB of Google Drive storage that’s free for two years. Rounding out the package is an SD card reader, four USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI connection, a DisplayPort connection, an audio jack, Bluetooth 4.0, 10/100/1000 Ethernet and dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless.

Pricing starts at $179 with availability starting sometime in March. Asus is also throwing in a free VESA mount with all orders, an added bonus if you plan for the system to live somewhere that isn’t the top of your desk.

Permalink to story.

Looks like a great little bit of kit for a pretty damn good price point.
I've stayed away from the Raspberry Pi due to it's low performance, but this thing could be just the ticket.

I know it's very unlikely but is a sata/msata port too much to ask for? :)

This will surely be a great Chrome/ubuntu/Android box.

Now this is what I have been waiting for. And $180? That is a bargain for such a powerhouse!

I dont get who would want an i7 in a Chrome OS PC though xD LOL.

Can steam be installed on this for a cheap steam in-home streaming box?
Currently, no. But I don't really see the point of installing a "Gaming Os" on a non-gaming platform. Don't get me wrong but you will not use this box to play call of duty. Also the limited storage space shows that the purpose of this box lies elsewhere. It is a nice testing platform for 2D games or low-end games though. If you create your own games an put them on a SD-card that is capable of booting the game it would probably be really funny.

SteamOS is capable of streaming games from your gaming PC to a smaller system that's connected to your tv. For that purpose, this thing seems ideal.

Back