Asus unveils Haswell-powered Chromebox, arriving next month starting at $179

By Shawn Knight
Feb 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Chrome OS has pretty much been limited to laptops up to this point but that'll soon be changing thanks to devices like the one Asus recently revealed. Known as the Asus Chromebox, it's a small form factor desktop machine powered...

Read more
  2. But will it run Flash....
  3. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 416   +43

No, thanks, waiting for the Kaveri version with USB 3.0.
  4. Looks like a great little bit of kit for a pretty damn good price point.
    I've stayed away from the Raspberry Pi due to it's low performance, but this thing could be just the ticket.

I know it's very unlikely but is a sata/msata port too much to ask for? :)

This will surely be a great Chrome/ubuntu/Android box.

IKROWNI TS Member Posts: 27

Can steam be installed on this for a cheap steam in-home streaming box?
  6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Now this is what I have been waiting for. And $180? That is a bargain for such a powerhouse!

I dont get who would want an i7 in a Chrome OS PC though xD LOL.
  7. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Booster Posts: 147   +25

Currently, no. But I don't really see the point of installing a "Gaming Os" on a non-gaming platform. Don't get me wrong but you will not use this box to play call of duty. Also the limited storage space shows that the purpose of this box lies elsewhere. It is a nice testing platform for 2D games or low-end games though. If you create your own games an put them on a SD-card that is capable of booting the game it would probably be really funny.
  8. SteamOS is capable of streaming games from your gaming PC to a smaller system that's connected to your tv. For that purpose, this thing seems ideal.