TechSpot

Asus unveils the VivoStick, a $129 PC-on-a-stick loaded with Windows 10

By Shawn Knight
Sep 2, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Asus is diving head-first into the PC-on-a-stick market with a new product it’s calling the VivoStick. Fashioned in the image of Intel’s Compute Stick, the VivoStick outpaces the trendsetter in nearly every category.

Asus’ latest is powered by an Intel Cherry Trail processor, an improvement over the Bay Trail chip found in the Compute Stick. It also includes 2GB of RAM and 32GB of local storage in an eMCP (multi-chip package) configuration that saves some real estate on the board.

Connectivity-wise, the VivoStick packs 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, a USB 2.0 port, a USB 3.0 port and an HDMI port. There’s also a headphone jack and what appears to be an integrated speaker. Intel’s Compute Stick shipped with Windows 8.1 with Bing pre-installed but with the VivoStick, you get Windows 10.

We’ve seen multiple manufacturers jump on the stick PC bandwagon this year despite the fact that the market is still largely unproven. Stick PCs aren’t quite powerful enough to serve as a desktop or notebook replacement, thus forcing them into a crowded niche category where they’re competing for market share alongside large-screen smartphones, tablets, Chromebooks and even set-top boxes.

Asus said the VivoStick will carry an MSRP of $129 but stopped short of providing a launch window.

Thumbnail courtesy Engadget

Permalink to story.

2. drjekelmrhyde

drjekelmrhyde TS Booster Posts: 200   +44

This will help the people who think the Intel one is ugly even though it's behind your TV or monitor

3. sthet81

sthet81 TS Rookie Posts: 18

A portable PC that looks good and cost $129. This would be perfect for my kids to do research and reports for their school need.

4. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 956   +273

Media box for my TV?

5. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,547   +2,346

Apple needs to do an iStick. It will have 75% of the capability, but it will look 1000% better.

6. Randomthom

Randomthom TS Enthusiast Posts: 47   +16

You forgot it will cost at least 400% more.

7. davislane1

No I didn't. Higher prices are intrinsic to the brand.

8. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

The Apple device wouldn't be called an iStick. That is the name of the usb/lightning flash drive that came out a while ago. It's used to transfer data between a PC and iPad.

9. davislane1

MacStick
    MacNano
    ?

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,554   +2,894

I vote for "MacUseless"!

Without a touchscreen TV, no one would know how to use it. lol