ASUS Z54C/X54C Keyboard Mapping Issue

I'm doing this on my Toshiba laptop at the moment, and you'll see why later in this post.

Earlier today, I acquired an ASUS Z54C notebook, and had noticed that the keyboard is acting rather strange. Certain keys will also register other keys when pressed. Here's which ones react this way (letters are not case sensitive):

U will also register 6,
0 (Zero) will register [
= registers ]
5 registers R
W registers S
I/I places a Date Stamp... (this might be the problem)
There may be others, but I'd like to move on to the behavior

the way this behaves is if I press the key U, then "6u" or "^U" will show up (depending on if I press Shift or not). The same thing happens if I press the key 6.

This is the same for all others; if I press one or the other of these keys in question, the other appears with it.

At first, I thought this was a problem with the copy of Windows 7 that was installed, so I installed Windows 10 Tech Preview (I was going to do so anyway). However, this behavior did not go away.

Looking for help, and I'd be more than happy to resolve this problem

I should note that not all keys behave this way, but that the majority of them work fine. It's just that this should not be happening to begin with.

I've also pulled the keyboard out and inspected it. I didn't see any dried fluids or any obstructions in the keys. Should I perhaps consider replacing the keyboard? Sadly, I have no USB keyboards to see if the behavior is isolated to the laptops primary keyboard, although using the On-Screen Keyboard doesn't elicit this behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back