ASWL2K.exe (ASUS W-Lan card) uses up to 50% of my CPU

By fred506
Jul 21, 2005
  1. In the windows task manager it display a running process from the file ASWL2K.exe, which I'm pretty sure is associated with the Wlan-cards.

The problem is that on my laptop the process ASWL2K.exe uses up to 50% of my cpu (AMD Athalon 64 3200+). The process fluctuates on and off between 0% usage and 50% usage, about every second. It really kills the performance of my computer.

The funny thing is that when I kill the process nothing happens, the network is still functioning. I can't find anywhere to permentally disable it either in msconfig or in the services list.

Is anybody familiar with this problem? And more importantly, does anybody know what to do about this?

Let me know please...
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

I had a similar problem with fuzzyligic4 a virus had gotten to it, perhaps the same has happened to u?
  3. fred506

fred506 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Don't think so. I ran Norton Anti-virus and sbybot but found no problems.
  4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

It could also be a trojan, spyware, or adware, u need to scan for everything.
  5. fred506

fred506 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I Ran the following programs:

Norton Anti-Virus

Norton System Works
    System Machanic 5

No problems/viruses/spyware were detected.

6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Did it not show up in Hijackthis? I think it should show as a 023 entry.

I cannot find any info about this file. Other than what appears below.

The path to the executable is C:\WINDOWS\system32\ASWL2K.exe

Maybe you can stop it from there. Go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.