At $84 million a year, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella is one of the tech industry's top earners

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft ceo wealth tech industry satya nadella

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has only been at the helm for about eight months yet has managed to become one of the industry’s top earners. This total compensation package for the year is worth a whopping $84.3 million according to a document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

A large portion of the package – roughly $79.8 million – consists of one-time stock awards that Nadella won’t be able to touch until 2019. Not counting those shares, Nadella earned $919,000 in salary and $3.6 million as a cash bonus.

Nadella took over as Microsoft’s third CEO in February. The Redmond-based company conducted an extensive search to replace loyalist Steve Ballmer who had held the position for more than 14 years. Ballmer purchased the NBA’s Los Angeles Clippers just a few months after parting ways with Microsoft.

The pay disclosure comes at an inopportune time for Nadella. Less than two weeks ago during a speaking engagement at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing conference, the executive suggested that women in technology shouldn’t ask for pay raises and should instead hope that “karma” gets them a fair salary.

Criticism came almost immediately and Nadella was quick to offer an apology, saying he answered the question completely wrong. He also noted yesterday during a presentation in San Francisco that there is no pay gap between men and women at Microsoft.

Permalink to story.

That equates to 840 people that didn't get a decent yearly pay, because of one very greedy person. Sadly there is more than one, that fits this shoe!

Just to think about what a company of 840 people could do that this one guy never could,...a 840 things come to mind, and their combination would lift MS high above the ground.

But no, let's throw it all into one guys's pocket and hope that he spends it wisely... That's one dumb form of business.

The biggest thing you guys have to remember is that being in such a high position of public display, if something goes terribly wrong, they will NEVER find another job again. The monies they earn and the severance packages they get, are all conducive to the risk they accept.

The biggest thing you guys have to remember is that being in such a high position of public display, if something goes terribly wrong, they will NEVER find another job again. The monies they earn and the severance packages they get, are all conducive to the risk they accept.

Let them have their pretend heretic burning. The income inequality conversation usually isn't profitable for anyone.

That is just not true! And NOBODY is worth that much money per year.

I love how he tells Women to shove off and takes all the gravy for himself. perfect misogynistic behavior... and, he gets away with it!

On average he earns $230958 per day or $9623 per hour or $160 per minute or $2.67 a second. We're pretty darn jealous. This guy will lose his job soon enough. You are only paid that much money to never ever make a mistake and this guy has already made at least one. I, for one, am not as disgusted as other people are at the money he makes. A CEO that leads such a large company into profitable times will likely earn the company billions in profit. If you firmly believe in the leadership of your CEO, he is worth millions.

That equates to 840 people that didn't get a decent yearly pay, because of one very greedy person. Sadly there is more than one, that fits this shoe!

Disgusting...
(better duck, here comes a rant)

No... what's disgusting is how success is vilified in a country that was built on the promise and opportunity that hard work can yield great wealth. This man is NOT taking money from others because he makes a lot. That's a pile of nonsense. Wealth isn't a 'pie' that we all get a slice of. (unless you live in a communist country, if so, sorry) Politicians tell you that so you they can make you angry at rich people. If you believe rich people being rich is what's keeping you down, then that makes you a victim. And if you're a victim, you need someone to help you. that someone will be that politician who explained to you that you could be rich expect that the CEO has all the money.

It's wrong, and it's a lie and if you believe it you will sit on your hands and complain while those of us that understand that wealth can be created out of thin air with a little hard work get rich. If 1 year ago today you had opened an Etrade account (free), put $1000 in an S&P Total Return Index fund, today you'd have about $1150. That's $150 for doing nothing. If you had bought Microsoft stock with that $1000 you'd have $1330 today! Or you can complain about 'greedy' rich people.

He's getting paid mostly in stock. $84 million a year is NOT what he's making. If the stock goes up under him, he'll make a lot more than that. And if he screws up, his account drops like rock.

Shawn (the author) write most of his stories about either how great Apple is, or how lousy one of their competitors is. This is nothing more than cheap shot that isn't even factual. His annual salary is $4.5 mil. Not $84 mil. he can't sell the stock without making it look like MS is going to implode, so all he can do hold it. And that ties his wealth to his performance. Something that we'd like to do with our elected officials. Don't complain about it.

I can't agree with you on this one. They will find a job or another way to earn money rather quick compared to the average worker. Besides, being worth 84 milion dollars, who needs work afterwards anyway? I would be able to live my entire life with a much smaller portion than that.

You are all forgetting this one line

"A large portion of the package – roughly $79.8 million – consists of one-time stock awards that Nadella won’t be able to touch until 2019. Not counting those shares, Nadella earned $919,000 in salary and $3.6 million as a cash bonus."

It's a bonus for making the company do well that he can't touch for 5 years. You remove that it's about 5M. Still a crazy amount of money but not insane for a CEO, bankers make 100M per year all the time. You want to get mad get mad at them.

He is a misogynist. I want him FIRED effective immediately.

Are you SJW types going to erase all meaning from that term like you did "racist"?

I think you're a grade-A misandrist, condemning a man because of his PR blunders. The world has no place for hateful lunatics like you! #MaleRightsOrSomething

no one has gotten rich on hard work. Its based on luck. Right place, right time, right product/service. And wealth of 84 million is sick no matter how you rationalize it.

There has to be a creed out there that speaks to this worldview... "There are no talents. There are no virtues. There are only dice."

It reminds me of a guy who once commented that live music can't be performed at a virtuoso level, on account of many pieces being "too difficult." Ergo, all stage performances are faked. I have ruminated on this position on several occasions, both during my own practice and at professional soundchecks. I have yet to uncover the device responsible for the shared hallucinations or deceptions I have experienced during these events, but, like yourself, this skeptic was on to something fundamental. I can feel it.

no one has gotten rich on hard work. Its based on luck. Right place, right time, right product/service. And wealth of 84 million is sick no matter how you rationalize it.

That'd be news to the rich people who got that way because of hard work. You, too, can be rich: Curb your spending appetite and save your money. I

And why is wealth of $84 million sick? Should he make $83,999,999 so he won't be sick in your view?

Haven't there been CEOs that have basically sunk a company all the while getting huge bonuses and then just finding a bigger better position? I mean it isn't a new thing and sinking your company doesn't mean no job as long as you know people and all CEOs do.

That'd be news to the rich people who got that way because of hard work. You, too, can be rich: Curb your spending appetite and save your money. I

And why is wealth of $84 million sick? Should he make $83,999,999 so he won't be sick in your view?

So, you are claiming hard work makes you rich... I know dozens of single moms who work 16 hours a day and they aren't rich. I know hundreds of people personally that work their *** of and they are not rich. I know of entire countries that kids work harder then you and me they are not rich either. How can you claim hard work makes you rich? Do you work hard? Are you rich?

Its sick in a linear scale when you make 1680 X more then what the requirements of life ask for. For every dollar you have, its another dollar some one else does without. It also wreaks the economy for all people. A person with 84 million income DOES NOT buy 1680 times more toothbrushes, toilet paper, books, cars, houses, gas, pets, groceries, etc more then you or me.

Last edited:
So, you are claiming hard work makes you rich... I know dozens of single moms who work 16 hours a day and they aren't rich. I know hundreds of people personally that work their *** of and they are not rich. I know of entire countries that kids work harder then you and me they are not rich either. How can you claim hard work makes you rich? Do you work hard? Are you rich?

I didn't claim that hard work makes you rich. I claimed that there are rich people because of hard work. Hard work is necessary but insufficient in determining whether someone gets rich. So your dozens of mothers and entire countries of kids can work their butts off without ever becoming rich. That's life and your caterwauling about it ain't going to change that.

I have a proposition for you: Name me one rich lazy person.

By the way, while I would like more money, my life isn't driven by what others have or for the incessant want of money. You're the one that said $84 million is sick. I asked you how much money should that person make in order to not be considered sick in your view.

Back