At how many Mhz should an Athlon XP 2400+ run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again =)

Back in 2003 I bought an Athlon XP 2400+ that was clocked at 2009 Mhz by the people who built the computer for me...

I read that an AMD 3200+ runs at 2000 Mhz and that a 3400+ runs at 2200 Mhz at their normal clocking speeds, so I am assuming that all AMD processors actually run 1200 Mhz lower than what they say. I thought that if this was true, then my 2400+ computer was overclocked by 809 Mhz, and that it should run at 1200 Mhz rather than 2009 Mhz. I think it may be different with AMD processors that run below 3 Ghz but I don't really know.

So Is this what the computer is clocked at without overclocking....or did they overclock my computer when they built it?...If so, by how much did they overclock it?

Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Your processor should run at that speed, 2009mhz. The numbers 2400+ just means that processor performs comparably to a Pentium 4 2.4 processor. 3200+ is similar to a P4 3.2 chip.

DOH! tbrunt3 stole my glory....and what vegasgmc said. There are many settings that make the CPU a certain 'speed' There is the FSB or 'front side bus' of the motherboard speed, usually 100, 133, 166, or 200Mhz. This is the speed of your motherboard and it's clock. The processor has a multiplier that takes the FSB and increases by a certain multiple, say 10X. so If you have a 166 FSB and a 10X multiplier your CPU is running at 1660 Mhz. Most hobbiest motherboards allow you to adjust your FSB and multiplier manually. Most CPUs have a fixed multiplier so what you buy is what you get, and changing the MB multiplier has no effect. Some CPUs, however, can change their multiplier and then you get the ability to mix FSB and the multiplier settings to get the maximum out of both your CPU and motherboard. This is where OverClocking is at it's best.

The difference between a 1800 and say a 2400 can be just the multiplier say 10X vs. 15X or it can be the different FSBs. You would have the same multiplier but your MB fsb would jump from 133 to 166. Now don't do the math with the figures I used cause they are most likely wrong. I just picked numbers out of my *** for an example, not a reference. So as you can see by the link from tbrunt3 that the various CPUs have different clocks and different multipliers to arrive at their working frequency. With AMDs processor ratings the CPU cache also is a factor. With 256kB cache the processor doesn't perform as well as the same CPU with a 512kB cache. The CPU rating is supposed to relate to the performance of a basic old style Athlon chip performance taking into consideration the new clock, multiplier and cache of the newer CPU. a 2400+ is supposed to perform a basic Athlon clocked to 2400 Mhz, even though it's clocked to 2000 Mhz or whatever.

does that make sense or am I rambling again? :D

Yes I understand completely lol; you're not rambling =D.

I'm having an Athlon 64 3400+ put in a new pc, and on that link the 3400+ im getting says it has a x11 multiplier; so I gather from your information and from using a bit of algebra that since the processor has a multiplier of 11 and the speed is 2.2 ghz, then my fsb is will be 200 mhz =D....Omg I'm a genius! <(@.@<) <(@.@)> (>@.@)>

I'm not quite ready to overclock yet though because I don't want to blow up anything! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back