TechSpot

AT&T drops subsidized tablet pricing starting today

By Shawn Knight
Aug 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. AT&T is reportedly doing away with subsidized tablet pricing meaning you'll have to pay full price if you purchase a slate through the wireless carrier. The decision comes a month or so after Verizon essentially did the same thing with……

Read more

2. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

This really isn't much of a surprise, particularly when you consider how low tablet options are beginning to drop in price (and will even more so when things like the Surface products and new cell-enabled Kindle Fires hit the market). It's becoming affordable for customers to just buy their own selected hardware outright, then shop for the right data plan to fit their needs.

Could end up being good news for US consumers. In other parts of the world, you pay big bucks for your phone, then shop around for the best service. Forces the service providers to give a good value with good support. We've been trapped with the "low cost up front (or free) hardware, and then being stuck for 2 years" marketing tactics for too long. This might be a step in the right direction.

3. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 910   +387

I'm for getting rid of the contract/cheap phone. Let me bring the phone, as long as it is compatible with your network. Let ME have control over MY phone. Including updates, software installed etc. Yes, the phones at the start will be expensive, but, with competition, the price will come down. With the buying power of big box stores, it will come down. Also, the competition between carriers "should" have a benefit of lowering costs to consumers. That is (at least in the USA) the two main carriers, Verizon & AT&T do a wink & nod to keep the prices up.