TechSpot

AT&T must pay $105 million to settle wireless "cramming" charges

By Shawn Knight
Oct 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Trade Commission have slapped AT&T with a $105 million fine for unlawfully billing wireless customers for third-party subscriptions for things like ringtones and text messages containing love tips, horoscopes and "fun facts."

Read more

2. AT$T is a monster with no soul...I will never forgive them for charging me a disconnect fee when they could not provide me service to where I moved...

3. Sadly, the government will,, maybe, see payment. The consumer/subscriber and therefore the VICTIM won't benefit from this finding and judgment.

4. TrueBooleanFals

TrueBooleanFals TS Member Posts: 76   +12

STATED in the article:

"As part of the settlement, $80 million will be used to provide refunds to affected customers. An additional $20 million will go to the 50 US states and the District of Columbia while the remaining $5 million will be pocketed by the FCC." -Shawn Knight, Techspot*

Maybe we should get our news in 250 characters or less so we don't go TL;DR... but that wont fix the problem.

* http://www.techspot.com/news/58363-att-must-pay-105-million-settle-wireless-cramming.html

Radient likes this.
  5. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 707   +168

AT&T has tried this on my family plan dozens of times. We pretty much have to call them every month to let them know it's wrong.

6. Radient

Radient TS Rookie Posts: 43

Why are the states getting money?

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

And how did the FCC get to the figure of $105 million? They sure as hell aren't going to let us know.

8. Charge the whole bunch of 'em under RICO

9. Radient

Radient TS Rookie Posts: 43

I dont know, fcc seems(no special knowlage) pretty open if you were intrested a foia would probbly say.