AT&T to double its fiber Internet footprint by the end of 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AT&T recently announced plans to expand its speedy fiber Internet service offering to 38 additional markets (on top of the 18 markets it already serves). If you happen to live in an area where your only choice is a slow Uverse connection or worse, a crummy competitor, this certainly may be worth checking into.

AT&T said it plans to offer its GigaPower service to homes, apartments and small businesses in parts of the following metro areas:

• Alabama: Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile and Montgomery
  • Arkansas: Fort Smith/Northwest Arkansas and Little Rock
  • California: Bakersfield, Fresno, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose4
  • Florida: Pensacola and West Palm Beach
  • Georgia: Augusta
  • Indiana: Indianapolis
  • Kansas: Wichita
  • Kentucky: Louisville
  • Louisiana: Baton Rouge, Shreveport-Bossier, Jefferson Parish region and the Northshore
  • Mississippi: Jackson
  • Missouri: St. Louis5
  • Michigan: Detroit
  • Nevada: Reno
  • North Carolina: Asheville
  • Ohio: Cleveland and Columbus
  • Oklahoma: Oklahoma City and Tulsa
  • South Carolina: Charleston, Columbia and Greenville
  • Tennessee: Memphis
  • Texas: El Paso and Lubbock
  • Wisconsin: Milwaukee

GigaPower offers speeds of up to 1Gbps, the same speed that Google Fiber offers in select areas. At that rate, AT&T says customers can download 25 songs in less than a second, an HD movie in under 36 seconds and a standard TV show in about three seconds. In this day and age of streaming, downloading media like that isn't as relevant as it once was although there are still many benefits to having a screaming fast connection.

AT&T launched its fiber service nearly two years ago in Austin, Texas. The company paused its rollout briefly late last year over uncertainty surrounding net neutrality rules although it quickly backpedaled on that decision.

Those interested in learning more about when GigaPower will arrive in their area can check out AT&T's coverage map.

Permalink to story.

"an HD movie". a HD movie, 'H' is not a vowel, although it does sound like it could be correct when you say it.
Fibre's still a dream here unless you're pretty affluent, you pay through your ring for it but it is becoming a lot more common and cheaper all the time. "Maybe next year..." I say that every year but still I wait, maybe next year is the year, I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime 30 down and 5 up (not 7up) is the best I can afford.

Of course, ANY expansion of the network is a welcome site, especially since they promised us it would happen over 20 years ago. In my travels I have noticed a number of Asian countries and some of Europe is already 100% fiber and it obviously shows. Surprisingly, the costs are comparable despite the enormous different in speed and access. If the FCC had been on the ball we'd already be there but at least it's starting to catch up and with so many people dumping cable TV it's an obvious requirement if these companies want to stay competitive.

"an HD movie". a HD movie, 'H' is not a vowel, although it does sound like it could be correct when you say it.
Fibre's still a dream here unless you're pretty affluent, you pay through your ring for it but it is becoming a lot more common and cheaper all the time. "Maybe next year..." I say that every year but still I wait, maybe next year is the year, I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime 30 down and 5 up (not 7up) is the best I can afford.

Probably because when you say H. Phonetically it sounds like "ache" with a soft "ch" not a "k".

It's 1 Gbps fiber! But it's AT&T, so something will go sideways in terms of how you will use it. Bandwidth caps maybe?

Probably because when you say H. Phonetically it sounds like "ache" with a soft "ch" not a "k".
As I said, when you say it, it sounds correct but grammatically it isn't. Anyway, who speaks and writes English the way it's supposed to be spoken and written thesedays? Nobody I know and certainly not me.

As I said, when you say it, it sounds correct but grammatically it isn't. Anyway, who speaks and writes English the way it's supposed to be spoken and written thesedays? Nobody I know and certainly not me.
A vs an is about the sound and not the letter, if word starts with a consonant sound (historical, user, one) it uses a if it has a vowel sound (hour, honor, apple) it uses an. It was never about the actual letter and never really has been.

A vs an is about the sound and not the letter, if word starts with a consonant sound (historical, user, one) it uses a if it has a vowel sound (hour, honor, apple) it uses an. It was never about the actual letter and never really has been.
Yup. It sounds correct when pronounced "an" but should be written as a... or is that an... a. XD My head hurts now.

We have a form of att uverse fiber here in darien, il and it's $60 for 16 meg download, only 0.6 meg upload. This is what I thought you were writing. I doubt the price is what you say since they advertise their uverse on tv for $15.

You guys that live in the US are so lucky that you don't even know. I live in small island not to far away from the US and our max download speed is 25Mb and it costs us approximately $240 in total costs.

I've been going through the same thing for awhile, the cheapest solution would probably be move to California.

50 down, 10 up here, PLENTY fast for my use. I don't play games, stream a little, but not a lot and no issues. Until fiber gets down to what I pay for what I get now, I'll skip it.

Back