AT&T will be the first US carrier to offer Microsoft's Lumia 950

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AT&T is poised to become the first US carrier to offer the Lumia 950, Microsoft’s first flagship smartphone in nearly two years. While no doubt welcomed news for those patiently waiting for a Windows 10 phone, the announcement leaves a lot to be desired.

If you recall, the Lumia 950 is the smaller and less powerful of the two new handsets. It packs a 5.2-inch 1440p OLED display that’s powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 808 hexa-core chip alongside 3GB of RAM. The beefier Lumia 950 XL, meanwhile, features a larger 5.7-inch display and Qualcomm’s octa-core Snapdragon 810 SoC.

The nation’s second largest wireless provider will begin accepting orders for the Lumia 950 in matte black or matte white on November 17 ahead of a full retail launch on November 20. The phone will set you back roughly $600 and can be purchased straight up, with a two-year commitment or using AT&T Next, the company’s installment payment plan.

Those choosing the latter route can expect to pay an additional $19.97 per month for 30 months, $24.96 spread across 24 months or $29.95 for 20 months. The Lumia 950 will command $149.99 with a two-year agreement although this route will increase the cost of your monthly service.

As PC World highlights, you’d be better off buying the Lumia 950 unlocked through Microsoft as it’ll be offered $50 cheaper there. The catch, of course, is that you have to fork over the full cost of the phone up front. Being unlocked, however, allows you to take it to another carrier like T-Mobile or even an MVNO like Cricket.

If you do go with AT&T, they’ll also sell you a Surface 3 (not the Surface Pro 3) for $399.99 on a two-year agreement (regularly $499 from Microsoft).

Permalink to story.

I thought it was painfully obvious to everyone that you never buy a device through a carrier or contract unless you don't care about being robbed.

I thought it was painfully obvious to everyone that you never buy a device through a carrier or contract unless you don't care about being robbed.
The average american has the forethought of an inchworm. CLEARLY $20 a month/24 months is cheaper than $500.

They also fail at math. And budgeting.

The average american has the forethought of an inchworm. CLEARLY $20 a month/24 months is cheaper than $500.

No, not at all. Most people want the flagship devices so they can brag if nothing else so they are willing to put themselves on the hook for two years, that's the ISP's bread and butter. Personally I don't see the sense in that anymore. I'm older and questionably wiser. If I was still a youngster I'd probably do the same... In fact I DID do the same.
ISP's have more than enough money already and I'm not charitable enough to give them any more.

What a stupid comment. Most Americans don't have hundreds of dollars laying around to blow on conspicuous consumption. If they want these items they have no choice but to purchase them via installments. Apparently you flunked grade school math as well, because $20 for 24 months is $480 - and that's a little less than 500.

What a stupid comment. Most Americans don't have hundreds of dollars laying around to blow on conspicuous consumption. If they want these items they have no choice but to purchase them via installments. Apparently you flunked grade school math as well, because $20 for 24 months is $480 - and that's a little less than 500.
You know absolutely nothing about me so don't just "assume". You'll make an '***' out of yourself and try make one out of 'me'.
If you're stupid enough to want to spend two years paying off something you should buy outright, that's your problem. Haven't you ever heard of "saving up?"

You know absolutely nothing about me so don't just "assume". You'll make an '***' out of yourself and try make one out of 'me'.
If you're stupid enough to want to spend two years paying off something you should buy outright, that's your problem. Haven't you ever heard of "saving up?"

I'd go with the $20/month for 24 months deal any day if it ends up cheaper than buying outright. Unfortunately, I have a company paid phone so the cheapest route for me is buy nothing, pay nothing. :)

I'd go with the $20/month for 24 months deal any day if it ends up cheaper than buying outright. Unfortunately, I have a company paid phone so the cheapest route for me is buy nothing, pay nothing. :)
Now that I like. I would also rather have some one pay it for me. The problem is that you have no say on what you use if they give you a phone. If they give you an allowance for a device then that's better.

Back