AT&T's gigabit internet to reach Silicon Valley ahead of Google Fiber

Jos

Staff

Cupertino residents will soon have access to one of the fastest Internet speeds in the country. According to the Wall Street Journal, AT&T’s gigabit service will be landing there in the coming months, making California the latest state in the company’s national launch of its GigaPower fiber optic broadband.

AT&T’s gigabit-speed fiber is currently offered in Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth in Texas, with plans to bring it to Houston and San Antonio as well as cities in Florida, Tennessee and North Carolina. Like Google’s own offering, pricing starts at $70 per months, but with a catch: users must agree to participate in AT&T Internet Preferences behavioural tracking for delivering tailored ads.

As DSLReports.com explains, “While Google tracks search history, cookies and GPS location data, AT&T's Internet Preferences appears to use deep packet inspection to monitor each and every packet, including how long you spend on specific websites.” If you would prefer to opt out it’ll be an extra $30.

Specific timing, availability and pricing for the U-Verse with GigaPower service in Cupertino will be announced later, AT&T said.

Google started selling its own gigabit-speed fiber connections in Kansas City two years ago and has since added Provo, Utah, and Austin, Texas. Google Fiber's multi-city Bay Area buildout is currently in the planning stage and doesn’t include Cupertino -- which is also Apple’s hometown.

Permalink to story.

If the price of gigabit is $100 (based on the idea that AT&T is pricing to make a small profit), how would you expect price of mere megabit connections to 'react'? Supposing that all of the making and maintaining of the local connection to the user weighs in at about $50 (compare to POTS, a regulated utility), then I would expect a 25 megabit to price at around to fall over time to about $2 (total bill about $52) based on bandwidth pricing.

While recognizing that ISPs with their 'captive' consumers will resist this strongly, how can we inspire the FCC to break the ISPs stranglehold? Saving almost $50 @ month or having 1 gigabit sounds just fine to me. At least, I can hope.

Cupertino residents will soon have access to one of the fastest Internet speeds in the country. According to the Wall Street Journal, AT&T's gigabit service will be landing there in the coming months, making California the latest state in the...]
OK, first I have a question. Since this is Cupertino CA, why didn't Apple say, "stand back everyone, we'll show you how to do this so that, "it just works"....(Yeah baby)!

And of course Google will be last here in a 2 cable race, since they have to come all the way from Russia.

(Yes, I know that was uncalled for, so what)?

I just don't know why they don't put in wifi instead of burying those cables. They'd have it in more than a few cities in the country. I would never pay that. Why did both put it in austin? I have a friend named austin. Maybe this could be called texspot. Uverse is unreliable and is down about every 7 days for hours. It was down today. Must have a memory leak. Part of it is across the pond so it's very complex.

Apple tell everyone to stand back this is how you do it? Did you know Apple the company does not have an EDI system? They still email or fax invoices. Most will not even get what I am saying. That is okay.

Apple tell everyone to stand back this is how you do it? Did you know Apple the company does not have an EDI system? They still email or fax invoices. Most will not even get what I am saying. That is okay.

ppffftttt.... we were doing EDI in the early 1990's at GT .

I just don't know why they don't put in wifi instead of burying those cables. They'd have it in more than a few cities in the country. I would never pay that. Why did both put it in austin? I have a friend named austin. Maybe this could be called texspot. Uverse is unreliable and is down about every 7 days for hours. It was down today. Must have a memory leak. Part of it is across the pond so it's very complex.

ATT is developing some (I believe) 5G ISP broadband infrastructure prototypes which preclude the need for FTTH/FTTP altogether ☺

Back