AT&T's gigabit internet to reach Silicon Valley ahead of Google Fiber

By Jos
Aug 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Cupertino residents will soon have access to one of the fastest Internet speeds in the country. According to the Wall Street Journal, AT&T's gigabit service will be landing there in the coming months, making California the latest state in the...

Read more
  2. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Guru Posts: 361   +49

Fast speeds from both providers. I wish Google Fiber were available in New York City; it'd shake things up a bit.
  3. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,536   +288

If the price of gigabit is $100 (based on the idea that AT&T is pricing to make a small profit), how would you expect price of mere megabit connections to 'react'? Supposing that all of the making and maintaining of the local connection to the user weighs in at about $50 (compare to POTS, a regulated utility), then I would expect a 25 megabit to price at around to fall over time to about $2 (total bill about $52) based on bandwidth pricing.

While recognizing that ISPs with their 'captive' consumers will resist this strongly, how can we inspire the FCC to break the ISPs stranglehold? Saving almost $50 @ month or having 1 gigabit sounds just fine to me. At least, I can hope.
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

OK, first I have a question. Since this is Cupertino CA, why didn't Apple say, "stand back everyone, we'll show you how to do this so that, "it just works"....(Yeah baby)!

And of course Google will be last here in a 2 cable race, since they have to come all the way from Russia.

(Yes, I know that was uncalled for, so what)?
  5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,292   +55

I just don't know why they don't put in wifi instead of burying those cables. They'd have it in more than a few cities in the country. I would never pay that. Why did both put it in austin? I have a friend named austin. Maybe this could be called texspot. Uverse is unreliable and is down about every 7 days for hours. It was down today. Must have a memory leak. Part of it is across the pond so it's very complex.
  6. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Apple tell everyone to stand back this is how you do it? Did you know Apple the company does not have an EDI system? They still email or fax invoices. Most will not even get what I am saying. That is okay.