AT&T's new Mobile Share Value plans could save you a lot of money

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AT&T on Saturday introduced a new family plan that’s easier to understand and will save customers some money in the process. The plan offers unlimited talk and text plus 10GB of data to share among all members.

Pricing starts at $130 for two smartphones and increases by $15 for each line that is added. For example, a family of five would pay just $175 each month which is certainly a solid deal. With three lines or more, it looks to be the cheapest option available among the four major wireless carriers in the US.

The plan is available to both new and existing customers including small businesses with up to 10 lines. Since this is a no-contract plan, members will either need to bring their own device, purchase one at a no-commitment price (off-contract) or sign up for AT&T Next (the company’s early upgrade program).

In the event that a family goes over the 10GB data bucket, they’ll be charged $15 per additional GB of data used. Customers that are already on family plans that share 10GB of data or more will automatically be placed on the new plan.

And for a limited time, all new and existing customers will receive a $100 bill credit for each new line of service added to the plan. That applies to smartphones, tablets, feature phones, mobile hotspots or AT&T’s home phone service.

The new value plan will go into effect on Sunday, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

AT&T: $145 for 3 lines for 10gig. T-Mobile has $120 for 3 lines each with 2.5gb or you can go unlimited for $150 for all 3 lines.

Sprint framily isn't bad either at $25/line but you need to reach 7 to get that discount... and you are stuck with crappy sprint network.

Id hop right on ATT or the above plans...if any of the companies other than verizon decided to offer service in my area....
If someone could provide consistant service in my area they would be sitting on a goldmine...

Close AT&T, but no limits and no surprises trumps a low price with sticker shock for overages. I'm still willing to go with T-Mobile or Sprint to have the peace of mind that my bill will not change because my family's usage did. It's funny, because these guys are offering unlimited service for about the same price.

I know AT&T and Verizon's viewpoint is that unlimited data can't last forever. But, what I'd like to know is, how long can they last without our business?

Close AT&T, but no limits and no surprises trumps a low price with sticker shock for overages. I'm still willing to go with T-Mobile or Sprint to have the peace of mind that my bill will not change because my family's usage did. It's funny, because these guys are offering unlimited service for about the same price.

I know AT&T and Verizon's viewpoint is that unlimited data can't last forever. But, what I'd like to know is, how long can they last without our business?

I'd say its more like, "How long can they NOT offer unlimited data?" They just keep increasing the speeds and the apps keep using more data. Something has to give, and I'd say that something should be speed. Almost nobody needs over 500kBps for mobile data, and if they do let them pay for the heavy usage. Data should be sold by speed, not data consumed. Speed and number of simultaneous connections are the only real factors in managing network usage. Charging for a bucket of bits is a scam that leaves everyone with less throughput than they paid for.

I'd say its more like, "How long can they NOT offer unlimited data?" They just keep increasing the speeds and the apps keep using more data. Something has to give, and I'd say that something should be speed. Almost nobody needs over 500kBps for mobile data, and if they do let them pay for the heavy usage. Data should be sold by speed, not data consumed. Speed and number of simultaneous connections are the only real factors in managing network usage. Charging for a bucket of bits is a scam that leaves everyone with less throughput than they paid for.
When I saw your comment I knew I had to get in on this. I couldn't agree more with what you are saying, I feel almost the same way. These carriers are talking about how fast their internet speeds are and how it can outperform landline service but in reality we have no room to really put all of that service to use. its like having a Lamborghini except that you re only allowed to drive it in a parking lot which really doesn't justify having the fastest service on the planet.

its like having a Lamborghini except that you re only allowed to drive it in a parking lot which really doesn't justify having the fastest service on the planet.
And if you are allowed to get off the parking lot, don't forget the speed restriction between parking lots. There is no practical point in having a car that will do 300, if you are not allowed to drive over 80.

But you can no longer get an HTC One Refurbished for $50 with a 2 year contract upgrade... you'll have to pay $300 or more for a decent phone which will wipe out your savings with the new plan.

Back