TechSpot

AT&T's new sponsored data program lets content providers pay for your wireless data usage

By Shawn Knight
Jan 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AT&T is rolling out a sponsored data plan in which the charges for mobile data consumption will become the responsibility of content providers and website owners instead of wireless customers. The service is similar to a 1-800 number or free...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,026   +913

I am really not sure how this will work out....

3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 215   +52

Just seems to be as noted, trying to skirt data caps. Except instead of customers paying for the bandwidth, it's now on those who are offering the services. So they can lock hard caps on people regardless but still, skirt the general issue by saying x companies don't count towards your cap.

What if things don't go their way? Will they suddenly decide to prioritize that data lower, as a way of playing 'screw both sides we win all the time'? Netflix could just try playing hardball and refuse entirely, or lowball the amount so AT&T could play the 'screw you' card and nobody benefits. They want to keep data caps, as an excuse to sell more expensive plans.

4. kissx

kissx TS Member Posts: 38

I eat lunch in my car and watch Netflix on my S4. Cool if they would pay for it:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.