Atapi Dvd Ls 16x8x16x8

By darrenmed
Mar 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Having problems with this DVD r/rw drive that I got. It is a dvd drive (Atapi DVD LS 16x8x16x8) that records single and dual layer r/rw. 3 issues but the 1st is the most important.

1) whenever I put a dvd or cd in the drive to play, it seems to be playing at a very very fast rate so that it sounds like it is on very fast foward. This happens with both cds and dvds. it never plays the disc normally. i dont know how to fix it and i also dont know if it is affecting the way it burns discs because,

2) when i burn dual-layered discs, it doesn't seem to be able to play on any dvd players. single layer definitely works better, though it has the occasional error. i have the latest versions of ripit4me, dvd shrink, and dvd decrypter.

3) lastly, and this is a common problem that i've never understood how to fix. i can't increase my read or write speeds past 2.5x, even though i have the potential on this drive for so much faster.

Please. any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

sincerley,

darren
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,674   +152

What are your system specs? Have you looked for a firmware upgrade for the writer?
  3. darrenmed

darrenmed Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I'm kinda clueless. How do I know what my system specs are. and how do I look for a firmware upgrade?
  4. Tmagic650

Did you install the burner yourself?
  5. darrenmed

yes i did. a few months ago
  6. Tmagic650

So if you did install this writer, you have enough intelligence to find out what your systems specs are. What make is the computer? HP, Dell, custom built? What does it say when you go into Control Panel, System?
  7. darrenmed

oh ok. Its a Dell Dimension 8300 Intel (R), Pentium (R) 4 CPU, 2.6 GHTz, 512 megabytes of RAM, windows XP version 2002, service pack 2,
  8. zipperman

zipperman Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,423   +7

Whats is IT ? You didn't name the Software either.:knock:
    I had trouble playing with my Sony 820,so i updated the firmware.
    That fixed movie play.I use Nero Express 7.It was included and a booklet.
    I think you just have to learn how to use it.Read anything that was included
    on the cd or booklet.
    Till your sure,use test burn option.

According to Sony,
    Writeing speed by the drive.
    Depending on your software and media (disk type),this speed will vary.Mine is from 5x to 16 x .
    I got a nice booklet explaining all this,did you.?
  9. darrenmed

i thought the burner name was Atapi Dvd Ls 16x8x16x8? And this isn't just a burning problem. If you read the first post you would know that.

also, the media allows for 16X, which my drive should be capable of. and i'm using the latest versions of ripit4me, dvd shink, and dvd decrypter.
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

It won't burn fast if the drive is in PIO mode rather than DMA. Also I don't know of any 16x dual layer disks. Maybe they exist, I just don't know of them. I do know that my 16x Plextor burner burns dual layer disks at 2.4x and that that is a perfectly normal speed and isn't a problem with the burner. If you are burning RW disks they will not burn at 16x.

Sounds to me like you have a decoder problem for your dvds, don't have any clue why cd audio would be fast.

Use better disks if you have compatability problems with set top dvd players, or get a better set top dvd player.
  11. darrenmed

the 16x i'm talking about is with single layer non-rw disks.
    Also, DVDS play like they are on high speed and so do CDs. Someone out there must know what the cause of this is and also how to burn at a faster rate.

12. SNGX1275

Also put the old drive back in and see if the problem still exists. I still think you have a codec problem for that.
  13. darrenmed

ok. i dont understand PIO or DMA..and i dont have the old drive. that one broke. i dont know what a codec problem is..you have to speak to me like you would speak to a 5th grader.
  14. Tmagic650

Are you saying that you are 10 or 11 years old? That would explain a lot

Codec:

http://www.free-codecs.com/

P10 or DMA:

""For repeated DMA errors.
    Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more than six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.
    In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

If the mini-IDE driver for the device does not support stepping down transfer modes, or if the device is running UDMA mode 0, Windows XP will step down to PIO mode after encountering six or more CRC errors. In this case, a system reboot should restore the original DMA mode settings.

All CRC and timeout errors are logged in the system event log. These types of errors could be caused by improper mounting or improper cabling (for example, 40-pin instead of 80-pin cable). Or such errors could indicate imminent hardware failure, for example, in a hard drive or chipset.

The solution is to uninstall whichever IDE channel your drive is on and re-start. Windows will auto install it on start. After that just make sure DMA is set".
  15. zipperman

Is this meant for me ?

I read the first post and all that followed and spent time reading about mine before replying.
    Atapi is not a brand name like Sony etc.Their Atapi drives
    a Technical generic description.
    I replied about playing and someone explained you might have bad or cheap disks to record.
    Study the instructions and disk types it recommends.
    Mine came with very detailed install and disk type useage booklets,did yours ?
    Sorry if i wasn't an immediate quick fix.:D
  16. darrenmed

So nobody knows, basically. Can anyone tell me why a dvd player would play both CDs and DVDs at a very fast rate. These are regular CDs and DVDs - store bought movies, not blank media that was recorded on.
  17. darrenmed

Oh, and it was never mentioned in that reply how to check if you are on PI0 or DMA mode
  18. Tmagic650

It really sounds like a defective drive... I have never seen or even heard of such symtoms before

19. SNGX1275

[​IMG]
    Would have been a lot quicker for everyone if you would just have googled DMA and PIO when you first didn't recognise what it was.
  20. darrenmed

thanks for the tip. i'm in DMA mode

but only in the Primary IDE channel. The secondary IDE channel Device 0 only is in PIO mode, Device 1 is in DMA mode
  21. SNGX1275

ugh. set them to dma mode. If it won't go, uninstall the drive through device manager and reboot. If it still won't, uninstall through device manager again, shut down comp, disconnect the drive, reboot, shut down, connect drive, reboot.

If it still goes into PIO and not DMA, you either have a bad cable or a bad drive.

I've never heard of a drive being bad that had that failure method, so I'm still going with a codec issue, or perhaps sound/video drivers being at fault.

If you have problems with doing that, hopefully someone else can help you, because I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels without moving in this thread.
  22. Tmagic650

Boy SNGX1275,
    Do I know how you feel! Did we ever find out what the make and model of this burner was? Maybe an OS reinstall might cure this odd behavior
  23. zipperman

Well lets concentrate on Players.What have you tried ?
    Is i possible your stuck in fast forward somehow ?
    Thats the only way i see this happening.I have been playing videos and moviies since W95.Never had this happen.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.