atapi.sys, unmountable_boot_volume, chkdsk /r, 25% completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop, Mobile P4, 2.4 GHz, Windows XP Professional SP 1.

Few days back when I switched it on, everything was normal and Symantec antivirus started running. I went to the other room & came back within minutes to see a blue screen with messages:
1) A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
kernel_data_inpage_error…
disable any newly installed hardware or software..
disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing..
atapi.sys- Address F847558 but at F847300 datestamp 3d6ddb04…
Beginning dump of physical memory
After this, from 2nd time onwards, whenever I switch on I get, after the windows XP logo screen,
the FOLLOWING DIFFERENT MESSAGE on the blue screen, whether in safe/normal mode/last known good configuration.

2) A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again,
follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82393900, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

WHAT I DID :
I used my Windows XP Pro setup CD & set the option to boot from CD
In the setup window I chose R for repair
38155 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi
Examining
In the recovery console window c:\ , I gave chkdsk /r
Chkdsk is checking the volume
25% completed
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems
C:\
If I write exit, it goes back again to the same blue screen.

I would be grateful if anybody can help. I am not sure whether I should try “fixboot”. Since it is only c: and there is no other partition. Whether reinstalling windows will work. Then what are the detailed steps for fomating and partitioning. Is there a way to recover anything from the disk?

No new hardware/software loaded recently. Only the Symantec liveupdate got partially corrupted few months back but it updates partially & advances the date of the recent version.

Thanking you in advance. I would be immensely grateful if anybody can help.

Best regards, DG

Welcome to Techspot
You can try recovery consul from the CD to fix the MBR, but you need to decide how badly you need your existing Data ,This could work but if not if you are more concerned about the data then try this;
As you did not get through Chckdsk I would suspect you have a HDD failure but all may not be lost.
If the data on it is very important You may want to grab a replacement HDD for the Laptop , install & load XP .
Use a USB enclosure for the existing Hdd and see if any files are recoverable, there are also software programs for this also.
If you have a backup for your data now, then go ahead and do a clean install of XP from the disk. It will delete partitions, make new ones and format the existing HDD , If the drive is recoverable this process will succeed, but you lose all data.
When you boot to the CD just follow the procedure for Installing Windows.
Read each option carefully , if you make a mistake , just start again. You cannot hurt anything at this point.
Before you proceed with either remedy. Go to Dell web. Download all the latest drivers and print all the instructions for HDD replacements and XP fresh installs.
You willl want to also check into upgrading to SP2 while your at that site. Remember Dell's and other companies use proprietary software/hardware. It is always best to start with what they have to offer.

After you get through all of this a couple of ideas(just my opinion);
- do not use Symantec anti virus etc, (I have found just too many conflicts)
-If you do grab a USB enclosure , with a good HDD in it you now have a very convenient Backup tool to use in conjunction with a good drive imaging software , eg. True image.Thereby saving you great trauma in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back