Athlon 2700+ fsb help

Status
Not open for further replies.
-athlon 2700+ (max fsb 333mhz)
-MSI k7n2 delta-L (fsb 400mhz)
-dual channel 2x256 PC3200 DDR (400mhz)

Hi, currently my fsb is set at 166 with a multiplier of 13x. So my cpu is runnin at ~2167mhz.

Somebody told me that it would be better to raise my fsb to 200mhz and in return lower the multiplier. Is this true??

Anyway, I tried that, but I cant set my fsb to 200mhz..im guessing its locked somehow..but why is that? Do my components not go together? Do I really need to bother with the fsb setting anyway?

Some help would be good, thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Unless you want to oc the cpu leave the fsb at 166mhz.

If you do want to oc the cpu then, increasing the fsb in small ammounts is recommended, and checking for stability.

You cannot alter the multiplier because the AMD athlon xp2700+ is superlocked.

If you look in you mobo manual, it will tell you how to set the fsb.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Oh yea, I found all this info on it...that they started superlocking athlons as of october 2003. So theres no easy way to change the multiplier even if i actually want to lower it. What i wanted to do is have it running at 200mhz fsb with a multiplier of 11. I probably wont be overclocking it any time soon, but may try to break the lock and if that fails, its time for a new cpu! :slurp:

If I decide to get a new cpu, i would probably go with a new mobo as well...so what would you guys suggest?

If I manage to unlock my cpu..can someone tell me if I will gain much of a

performance increase, (especially with the ram) if i set the fsb at 200mhz and

lower the multiplier to 11. ? I mean isnt it better to have an fsb of 200

rather than 166, with cpu still runnin at ~2.2ghz...? Its not much of an

overclock [~33hz]..but wont my ram run better when the fsb is at 200?

Maybe its not worth bothering with this at all, everything goes smooth..but i

just want fsb 200! lol

nemac22 said:
i dont get it. how is increasing cpu speed from 2167mhz to 2200mhz a 20% increase?

If your CPU is superlocked you cannot change the multiplier. Increasing your FSB to 200mhz would not put your CPU at 2200mhz. It would put it at 2600mhz, which is a huge overclock.

Without a very decent voltage bump and amazing cooling, combined with luck, a non-mobile chip isn't going to achieve that. Even a mobile AXP will struggle.

You may be able to pin-mod the chip to a lower multiplier.

thats what i was saying..

only after modding would i ever be able to put the fsb at 200mhz (with a

lower multiplier ofcourse!). But im not sure if its a good idea for me to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back